Changing the rear gear cable on Canyon Nerve AM

simowill
simowill Posts: 56
edited November 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All,

Just a quick one has anyone change the derialleur cable on the Canyon Nerve AM 6.0, if so are there any problems I should be aware of.
How does the cable run trough the frame? the last thing I want to do is pull the cable out and not be able to thread a new one back through.

Thanks in advance

Simon
Canyon Nerve AM 6.0 2011
Kona Firemountain HT

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Are you replacing the inner and outer?
  • Supersonic,

Not sure until I take a look in daylight. I had an off last night and snapped the ferrule that enters the shifter so need to replace this and thought I might aswell change the cable while im at it. Im guessing I could change the inner also (canyon supplied some extre with the bike) while im at it.

Regards

Simon
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0 2011
    Kona Firemountain HT
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If your just changing the inner it will feed straight through the outer, it's changing the outer that will give you some grief.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    If your just changing the inner it will feed straight through the outer, it's changing the outer that will give you some grief.

Simon
    not really just feed the inner the wrong way before removing the outer, then use the inner to guide the outer through and finally fit the inner correctly.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:

Simon
    not really just feed the inner the wrong way before removing the outer, then use the inner to guide the outer through and finally fit the inner correctly.

When you say the wrong way do yo mean from the BB to the head tube?
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0 2011
    Kona Firemountain HT
  • nicklouse
    well it does depend on the frame and the way things are done. there is no reason why you could not actually replace the inner correctly and then pull off the outer and then refit a new outer. I dont know the frame the the principles are the same using an inner as a guide for the outer and the outer as a guide for the inner.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Ok thanks for the advice nicklouse im off to have a go

Simon
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0 2011
    Kona Firemountain HT
  • @lexD
    @lexD Posts: 340
    I have just done the cables on my nerve xc and you need the guide tubes to route the new inner cable through the frame.without them it would be nigh on impossible to achieve as they have a mind of their own when inside the frame.
  • nicklouse
    alex from that comment I guessthe outers do not go internal just the inners? then yes the guides or a lot of luck..
  • Yep the outers stop about an dinch into the down tube, and are bare through the frame. All done now though with a bit of luck and some tweezers!!. Thanks for all the advice.

Simon
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0 2011
    Kona Firemountain HT
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    ha ha your right about the tweezers,ive just done the same on mine
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011