pottssteve Posts: 4,069
edited November 2011 in Pro race
Interesting article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/scie ... mouse.html

Is genetic doping the future?
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,689
    This notion comes up every so often, since about 2000. The assumption being eventually we'll be watching bespoke green cycling monsters rather than people.

Not much you can do to stop people doing it illegally really. I guess if it really is genetic you could do a genetic test and look for the gene that's been changed > I doubt you could fake that, save for giving fake blood.

I remember some vague rumours about Ullrich giving it ago, though I could totally be wrong.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153
    I'm certainly no expert, but I've read that it's a piece of cake to detect and there's no way for the cheat to hide it, so I'm not too worried personally.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • At the moment genetic doping only works when you alter the gene when you are a mere bundle of cells. So you would have to grow an athlete with the desired genetic conditions. It would be pretty costly to do this and raises countless ethical problems.

Also there is no guarantee that any genetically modified individuals would be any better than existing athletes. You would have far more success with a forced breeding programme and you dont see anyone playing Barry White and pushing Victoria Pendleton and Eddie Merckx into a room...

So Im not worried about it.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Cav and Pendleton would be a good bet I reckon - A sprint genius!!

Rebecca Romerao and Wiggo would make an excellent TTer

Any others?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,689
    ddraver wrote:
    Cav and Pendleton would be a good bet I reckon - A sprint genius!!

Rebecca Romerao and Wiggo would make an excellent TTer

Any others?

Merckx and Vos....
  • cipollini and (pamela) anderson
    My pen won't write on the screen