UK doping positive (No waay)

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 72,689
edited November 2011 in Pro race
Damien Sharp tests positive for EPO in Bermuda.

http://bernews.com/2011/11/bermuda-cycl ... oping-ban/

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Sad sad sad sad sad.
  • Richj
    Richj Posts: 240
    sad news, was he a pro?? reports seem to suggest he was an amateur.
  • Pokerface
    He was an amateur. That's why it's so sad.

Strains of Dan Staite last summer (2010). Just lame when amateurs resort to (high-end) performance-enhancing drugs.

On an unrelated note, anti-doping woke me from a pleasant sleep this morning to collect my urine and blood. First time I've been blood tested. Somewhat refreshing.
  • Pokerface wrote:

Strains of Dan Staite last summer (2010). Just lame when amateurs resort to (high-end) performance-enhancing drugs.

On an unrelated note, anti-doping woke me from a pleasant sleep this morning to collect my urine and blood. First time I've been blood tested. Somewhat refreshing.

Obviously you are a professional so you are probably used to it, but just wondered, do you still get that feeling, even though you know you have given a clean sample, are you still plagued by fear that you will get a fail, in the same way when the police breathalise you, and you know that you are completely sober, you still cack yourself at the though of failing the test?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153
    This has to be the least significant doping story of all time. Who is this bloke? He's just some bloke who cheated in some low grade amateur event.

I genuinely believe that if I tested positive for PEDs it would be a more important story than that.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface wrote:

Obviously you are a professional so you are probably used to it, but just wondered, do you still get that feeling, even though you know you have given a clean sample, are you still plagued by fear that you will get a fail, in the same way when the police breathalise you, and you know that you are completely sober, you still cack yourself at the though of failing the test?

Despite taking reasonable precautions to make sure I don't knowingly take anything banned - yes...there is always that fear that a supplement or medication or food will have become contaminated by a banned substance causing a fail.

Perhaps it's the cries of wolf by so many pros who have been caught and used this excuse that leads to me to believe such a thing is even possible, or maybe it is my own Federation that warns against the use of supplements from un-approved sources. They went as far as to provide some vitamins to us that came from a 100% guaranteed safe plant - where cross-contamination is impossible.

The basically told us that the same machinery that is used to produce and package a banned substance can then be used to produce and package a seemingly innocent supplement - leading to contamination. I don't live my life in a bubble - so yeah, there's always that 0.1% of doubt in the back of my mind that a test will come back negative.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    This has to be the least significant doping story of all time. Who is this bloke? He's just some bloke who cheated in some low grade amateur event.

I genuinely believe that if I tested positive for PEDs it would be a more important story than that.

PED's in Hockey would be big news :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,689
    I was quite pleased with my iainf72-esq bermuda news link.

Totally insignificant.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Dan Staite.
    Damien Sharpe.

I bet Dave Sabriskie will be checking his supplements..... :shock:
  • mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    He could always compete in UFOLEP cyclosportives in France, just enter as "no federation" and provide a doctor's certificate; no real way of checking up on him. The winner in one of the cyclosportives in Limousin last year tested positive as well but actually enforcing a ban could be more difficult than it seems unless he happens to win in an event where there happens to be testing. Otherwise the only problem is likely to be being recognised by his fellow competitors. Sad but true.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153
    mz__jo wrote:
    Otherwise the only problem is likely to be being recognised by his fellow competitors.

I don't think that will be a problem. This is just some random chump. There are probably more notable riders on your local club run. The only thing I found surprising is that it merited reporting.
    Twitter: @RichN95