Pike oil seal o ring

Geordierider
Geordierider Posts: 20
edited November 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all, I ride a spesh pitch comp 09 and it's fitted with the OEM pike, the fork has hydrolocked after not that many rides, and I need to replace the inner and outer o rings that sit in the plastic bush in the damping side.
All I can find online is a kit for £30 that isn't fork specific and contains the usual dust seals and foam rings and it say's oil seals but the picture doesn't show any o rings that look like mine.
Apparently they were made to a bad tolerance and are prone to failure, I'm reluctant to spend £30 for two rubber o rings, can I buy them separate ? Is it worth trying to find some from a motor factors or motorbike shop ? Mountain bike suppliers charge silly money for spares !

Comments

• mkf
    mkf Posts: 242
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rock-Shox-Reb ... d=ViewItem

this is the chap. just got some off him for my revelations 32mm £8.75 posted
    think the pike, rev and reba all the same size rings
    mine went the same way, its the little o'ring inside the plastic bush that wears out
    bet you had no lock out & reduced travel.
  • Yep, about 15mm travel. £8.75 is a lot cheaper but still expensive, gonna try the motorbike shop over the road today see if he can match it up, if not i'll order those off fleabay. I tried my two local bike shops yesterday and got the typical response, ''send it off to rock shox/tftuned'' it'll cost you £100 ! Yeah i'm gonna ''fork'' out all that for a rubber o ring, sometimes I think bikeshops hate it if your at all knowledgeable, they like to sound like gurus - and god forbid you tell them you do all your own maintenance.........
  • Fixed with an o-ring from Millers motorcycles in Darlington (that he gave me for free) - a big thumbs down to bikesport and iron horse for being as helpful as a chocolate fireguard !
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Excellent three posts and seven whines.
    Is this a new record?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I could do better if I tried.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    be aware some OE Rebas were Recons internally. and need different seal/O ring kits
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown