Searching- is it broken?

DrLex
DrLex Posts: 2,142
Trying to find a post from a few weeks back, I don't appear to be able to get any results prior to today's offerings. In the manner of Sir Terry, is it just me? Or does someone at BR need to reindex the old stuff?

Comments

• josnor
    josnor Posts: 207
    Yep, we've not got round to reindexing yet. That's next on my todo list!
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Thanks for the prompt reply, chap!
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Was about to ask a very similar question. Top work for being aware of it and responding so quickly!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • josnor
    josnor Posts: 207
    I've indexed 10% of the posts, and I'm going to leave it at that for now - it's already increased the database size by about 1.5GiB and I don't want to risk slowing the site down with a massive search index. It'll index all posts from now on anyway.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Use google and stick 'site:bikeradar.com' on the end of your search string. Then you use google's index.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • JimboM
    JimboM Posts: 380
    josnor wrote:
    I've indexed 10% of the posts, and I'm going to leave it at that for now - it's already increased the database size by about 1.5GiB and I don't want to risk slowing the site down with a massive search index. It'll index all posts from now on anyway.

Fair enough, but the search facility is one of the best bits on the site :cry:

As a suggestion wouldn't it be better to have a full search but to keep the site manageable you could delete all posts over say 2 years old. Without a search function no-ones likely to trawl through pages of posts to find a specific thread so the old posts are irrelevant anyway.

As I say only a suggestion and I know sod all about websites/forums so may not even be possible anyway

Cheers

Jim
    Cannondale Synapse 105
    Giant FCR3
    GT Avalanche 3.0
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0