Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead

seataltea
seataltea Posts: 594
edited November 2011 in Commuting chat
It's another film/documentary about health, weight loss, diet and lifestyle etc but it's a good one. The Australian guy who is at its centre is a normal, down to earth bloke (apart from being loaded) who travels to the US (where else), goes on a pretty extreme eating regime for 60 days and records the effects on his body and medical condition.

You can buy it or find it in the darker corners of the internet, well worth a watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv3vEXy_EwU
'nulla tenaci invia est via'
FCN4
Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
CUBE Peleton 2012
Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter

Comments

• Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Fed up of watching TV programs about fat stupid people who have no self control and expect the medical services to bail them out.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Like he says, it's up to every one of use to make the lifestyle changes. I'd also add that it is also up to the government to nudge with C2W and sky high fuel costs, and the medical profession to shove people in the right direction maybe make prescriptions cost more and deny treatment for people who refuse to make diet changes or take exercise.

Personally I find cycling is the best way to combat my lack of dietary self control.

On this forum it's preaching to the converted. For anyone who is not yet converted switching from a car to a bike for a commute is easier than you might think.

Pros:
    Lose weight
    Gain physique
    Gain fitness
    Lose food guilt
    Gain energy
    Cheaper than the car
    Faster than public transport
    Discovering the joy of SCR
    High tech toys to upgrade and fettle

Cons:
    Ignorant people
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Well I'm just about at the end of a 15 day 'reboost' session. Basically two juices a day, one fruit and one veg plus a normalish meal, cut out bread, pot's, pasta, milk, cereal, most red meat replaced with portobello/chestnut 'shrooms or beetroot, increased seafood a lot ( 1kg of mussels last night plus a bottle of red :D )

Drank a lot of water and a couple of Nuuns a day, general cycling remained unchanged at about 150 miles a week but I added five 1hr 20 mile turbo sessions into the mix.

Sleep better, have more energy, skin looks better, clothes are looser, riding is easier, recovery is startling, food costs actually fell slightly, someone called me Slim Jim today.

Lost 12lbs after 14 days with no food cravings (after day 3), never an empty stomach, no ill affects, it seems too good to be true.
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I honestly don't know how people have the willpower to do things like that. Although I suppose it helps if you like the foods you're only allowed to eat :wink:
  • I'm on a diet at the mo, as I realised recently that after nearly two years of commuting by bike I'd actually gained weight. Have done similar before (I shed 12 KGs/nearly 2 stone at the beginning of 2008, all since put back on of course, and then some), and know from experience that it's not hunger that makes a diet hard to keep up, but the faff of being organised enough to stick to it, all the time.

This time I'm taking a slightly more relaxed approach in the hope that it can be more of a 'lifestyle change' kind of thing - I've got a little girl now so my lifestyle's changed anyway! The weight is coming off nicely at the mo just by having cut out rubbish and booze (for the most part :) ). I haven't bothered cutting out carbs or owt, will hold that sort of thing in reserve in case the fat loss stalls.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    I'm on a relaxed version of the fourhourbody style diet, which is basically avoiding pasta/tato/rice and stuffing yourself with meat/veg/legumes/eggs.

Tis great and the only diet that seems to work long-term for me - quick results, not feeling hungry and healthy :)