Boardman XL big enough for a 6ft 5 bloke?

Rigga
Rigga Posts: 939
edited October 2011 in Road buying advice
As above the XL is only 57.5cm and there is no bigger size, im 6ft 5ins (195cm). Are there any people same height as me riding an XL size Boardman road bike?

Comments

• nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    So why does it have to be a Boardman? Are you restricted by C2W at all? IMO you might get away with a 58cm - top tube length the all important factor but if not look at other brands where a 61cm+ might be available (bloody big frames those though).

If you can it might be worth exploring secondhand since your height will mean that the market for bikes that are suitable for you is not so broad and as a result prices are lower than for 54-58cm bikes.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cannondale-si ... 4cfb17ebbc
  • I'm 6ft 2 and when the saddle is at its max height my Boardman XL is too big for me!!!

Ask to try it out at Halfords I think you'll be okay

Despite what some say the Boardman bikes are excellent - I love mine!!
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    I'm 6ft 2 and when the saddle is at its max height my Boardman XL is too big for me!!!

Ask to try it out at Halfords I think you'll be okay

Despite what some say the Boardman bikes are excellent - I love mine!!

Yes but it may be possible to make a 54cm bike too big in terms of saddle height for a 6ft 5in rider (given a lengthy seatpost) but the issue is not just about saddle height but top tube length and drop from saddle to bars.
  • gmacz
    gmacz Posts: 343
    Giant XL will be big enough.
  • gin0rm0
    gin0rm0 Posts: 40
    I think it would be ok. I'm 6ft 2" and have an xl Team Carbon. Of course we all have different dimensions so might be an idea to try out in halfords first.

The bike came with a 130mm stem but I have swapped to a 110mm due to long top tube. You can always change things like bars/stem/seatpost if this helps to dial in the best position for you. Bear in mind that the Boardman bikes have a geometry more suited for aerodynamics/racing rather than sportives/touring.

All the best. ;-)

Ninja edit: assuming the geometry hasn't changed, the top tube on the xl boardman is 57.7 cm but, due the compact frame design, is 58.5cm effective. Taking account of what I have said above, I doubt the top tube length will be an issue for you.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Thanks for the advice everyone :D