Cracked fork steerer

bobgfish
bobgfish Posts: 545
edited October 2011 in Workshop
Hello

Been looking for the source of a noise on my bike.
Think I found it. Must have been like it a while as the 2nd pictiure shows the back of the fork where it's been rubbing against the frame. Crashed about 4 weeks ago and only ridden it about 4 times since then so convinced it happened prior to this. The front wheel was bent but didn't require a new rim so can't have been that.

Looks worse in the pictures and still not convinced it's not just manufacturing. Not prepared to ride it until checked.

IMG_5885.jpg

IMG_5888.jpg[/img]

Comments

• centimani
    centimani Posts: 467
    Scrap it, and quite rightly don't ride it.
    I don't think there'll be any other conclusion when you get it checked..personally i wouldn't even bother,,,replace it.

A sobering experience that all riders should take note of....a thorough check after a crash.

(i once saw a bike at the side of the road that'd had a fork collapse..i remember thinking, gawld, glad that wasn't me)

Youve been very fortunate bobg..
  • bobgfish
    edited October 2011
    I don't feel so fortunate right now. So pissed off. Was so looking forward to my first ride for a month with the boys. The pain in my Collarbone from four weeks ago doesn't help my mood.

I did get the bike checked but the front wheel was only fractionally out. Only other damge was scuffs on brake levers. I hit someone one head on (they failed to give way). I suspect that becuase the damage was minor the shop didn't pull the fork steerer.
  • centimani
    centimani Posts: 467
    bobgfish wrote:
    I don't feel so fortunate right now. So pissed off. Was so looking forward to my first ride for a month with the boys. The pain in my Collarbone from four weeks ago doesn't help my mood.

Understandable bobg, very understandable, but console yourself with the thoughts you'd have had another crash, perhaps very soon. It would have gone at some time, you'd have been riding a time bomb.
    Hope your collarbone gets better soon.
  • bobgfish
    Well I managed 125 Km on the Moutainbike with the lads. I didn't slow them up to much either. Not sure they wanted an MTB riding with them but they will get over it.

So glad to finally have a ride !!!