Help! My new brakes don't fit

chrb8
chrb8 Posts: 38
edited November 2011 in Workshop
I have just been trying to fit a new set of Miche Primato brakes and cannot get the pads to line up with the rims. Even with the pads at the maximum adjustment they still pull half on the rims and half on the tyres!

This is a standard size set of wheels and 'normal' frame design, on which previous sets of brakes have fitted fine with adjustment still left to use. There was no option to choose a size of caliper, so I just can't understand why this is so wrong. I have spent ages trying all sorts of things with all the various adjustments available.

Any help or advice would be gratefully received...

Comments

• nakita222
    nakita222 Posts: 341
    They are short drop callipers, you need long drop callipers, which basically allow the brake pads to be positioned further downwards.
  • What bike do you have and what were the old calipers? Compare the two sets of calipers and you'll probably find the older ones you used were a longer drop. The Miche Primatos are a short drop type, I think with a max of 49mm?

Sounds like your options are to try different calipers (or centre pulls), or come up with a "drop bolt" or bracket solution.
  • Had similar issue when changing OE calipers on a new Trek recently. Shimano do some decent quality long-drop calipers.
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You need a deep drop caliper, it's down to your frame and forks - the Primatos are shallow drop and simply won't fit. Tektro and Shimano both make something suitable.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Hi, I had the same problem with the shimano calipers I bought for a new build up. If the gap is only a matter of millimetres you could fit 'drop' cartridge pads. Basically, the fixing bolt sits above the line of the pads, effectively lowering the pad below the bottom of the caliper slot. I did this and it works (and looks) fine. In the process my brakes improved as the cartridges were better quality than the original pads. I haven't got a link, but you should be able to find them on ebay easy enough.
    Cheers
    Steve
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    you could fit 'drop' cartridge pads.
    Cheers
    Steve

Steve,

I've had a look on ebay and haven't come across any. I don't suppose you could send us a pic of yours?
  • Hi, Sorry I haven't had chance to do a photo yet, but if it's any help in the meantime the cartridges were branded Planet X, it may be worth a look online to see if anything comes up. I'll try and get a photo for you asap.
    Steve