Cycling safer than walking - Guardian

Initialised
Initialised Posts: 3,047
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
Guardian Death Statistics

Not too bad, cycling is marginally more likely to be fatal than Schizophrenia or falling from a building and less likely than mood disorders, cot death, swine flu or being hit by traffic as a pedestrian.

Factfile_deaths_large.png
I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.

Comments

• Errr... actually cycling is more likely to be fatal than walking, it's just that a lot more people walk than cycle. Sorry *runs away in case of mass hysteria about statement of fact*
    All hail the FSM and his noodly appendage!
  • Initialised
    Depends how you want to massage the stats I suppose.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Had someone asked you "what percentage of the UK population dies (all causes) each year?" , would you have ticked the box <1%?
    Don't think I would.
    Errr... actually cycling is more likely to be fatal than walking

Unless you're wear... STOP IT!!
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    Lis, damned lies and statistics. 96 died cycling and it gets a bubble. Quick bit of very rough mental arithmetic with heinous rounding to compensate for beer. 140,00 died of cancer, of which 120,000 get a bubble. So 20,000 deaths don't warrant a seperate bubble, but 96 cyclist did? A bit skewed methinks.
    No knife crime, the Daily Mail would have given it the biggest bubble as it's a media favourite.
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    these figures are all meaningless, as they are not normalised to express a risk which is comparable for each cause. They merely state the proportion of people killed in a certain way from a sample (which is not an expression of the statistical risk of death from each of those causes)
  • Initialised
    Still wondering where Murder, Manslaughter, Industrial Accident, Counter Espionage and Suicide featured.

Still a nice way of visualising mortality stats.
  • McBoom
    McBoom Posts: 78
    Cycling is statistically safer than walking for a given distance.

Walking is much safer for a given time period.
  • Still wondering where Murder, Manslaughter, Industrial Accident, Counter Espionage and Suicide featured.

Still a nice way of visualising mortality stats.

3377 intentional self harm also lots of people thet fell out of buildings or suffered hanging/strangulation

but agree plenty of omissions that were no doubt more significant than cycling, plenty of 'sexy'cancers not recorded, Testicular???
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    It's an interesting chart but, yes, is distorted in a number of ways. Diabetes, for instance, whilst not the immediate cause of death in a lot of cases, will have been the cause for a good percentage of cardiovascular diseases and hence deaths.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • > Depends how you want to massage the stats I suppose.

This is a textbook case of someone not being able to understand basic concepts about statistics.

For the statement "cycling safer than walking", for a simplistic start you'd need to have the numbers of people who cycle and cycle to get a mortality % for each activity. A better way to look at it would be the number of hours spent in each activity, but numbers for that would be hard to estimate.