Athena groupset

bobgfish
bobgfish Posts: 545
edited October 2011 in Road buying advice
Hello

Anyone have any thoughts if it's acutally worth more than the cheaper groupsets. It must be in silver so limits my choices.

Anyone help with where to get one cheap? Any significant difference between 2010/2011/2012 models?

Also do I need any special tools? (currently have all shimano tools) I know the chain needs a tool put going to throw that out and use a KMC instead.

Thanks

Comments

• Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I have a set on my Colnago, superb Groupset.

Avoid the 2011 as that has powershift, got for the 2010 as that is ultrashift.

I was so impressed that I have now converted all of my bikes to Record/Super Record 11 speed on the basis that if they can make Athena so good then the Record/Super Record should be brilliant and it is.

Don't forget you'll need Campag rear hub, Ultra torque cup tool for the BB and Rear Cassette tool, KMC links work brill.

HTH
  • bobgfish
    Whats the difference between the shifters? What does it mean. Shape or way of shifting?
  • Ultrashift will let you go up 3 cogs and down 5 cogs in one go. Only Chorus and above have it now.

TBH it's not a biggie. I have it on my 2011 Super Record and on my 2010 Veloce, but I also have 2011 Athena and not having it on this is no game changer. Of all three it's the most sold shifting groupset. I love it. It also looks lovely too :D
  • Post 2009 shifters all look the same.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you go for 2011 Powertorque chainset, then you need 14mm hex driver to install it and bearing puller to remove it. Worth seeking Ultratorque for ease of installation and removal.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • bobgfish
    Powertorque is the single axle vs split axle on the Ultratorque? Don't think they make a silver groupset with Ultratorque. Expensive tools?

Starting to have a big Chorus singing buy me instead. Buy me instead. If only they did a silver one with only the carbon bits in black.
  • Velonutter wrote:

+1.

Like Velonutter I've got the 2010 Athena Groupset with Ultrashift and bought it in preference to the 2010 version, the 3 up, 5 down shifting I think is great and a huge bonus. If you can source the 2010 groupset i'd recommend it.
  • I have 2011 Athena powershift levers on my Kaffenback with Athena 2010 rear derailleur. It's a slight drawback to lose the multi shifting but it shifts better than my Chorus 2009/Athena mix on my best bike. It seems that Campagnolo made a decent improvement to the feel and shifting of the 2011 levers be they Powershift or Ultrashift
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    I've just rebuilt my Moda with full Campag Chorus 11 speed and love it. I had SRAM Force as per standard fit previously and love the more solid feel of the Chorus groupset. Works superbly.

I bought an 11 speed chain tool - not the capag one at £120+ but one for £20 or so. Works just fine. Will get some KMC links though for future use.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Velonutter wrote:
    I have a set on my Colnago, superb Groupset.

I was so impressed that I have now converted all of my bikes to Record/Super Record 11 speed on the basis that if they can make Athena so good then the Record/Super Record should be brilliant and it is.

Don't forget you'll need Campag rear hub, Ultra torque cup tool for the BB and Rear Cassette tool, KMC links work brill.

HTH

Agree on the ultrashift option, it's annoying though that Chorus is the cheapest Campag groupset that has it. I've got 2010 Centaur which is as much groupset as I need, I wouldn't want one without ultrashift. Even my 6 year old 9 speed Mirage groupset on thw winter bike has it!
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    bobgfish wrote:

Also do I need any special tools? (currently have all shimano tools) I know the chain needs a tool put going to throw that out and use a KMC instead.

Thanks

Keep the chain, use a standard chain tool and a quick link to size + 1 spare.
    Sorted, cheaper, easier maintenance and the only "on the road" solution.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    The bottom bracket tool is the same as Shimano Hollowtech 2 from memory. You will need a T25 tool instead of hex keys, but this is cheap and you can find one on most multi-tools. For some of the cranks you will also need a long allen key - I think it is 10mm.

As above I just got a quick link for the standard Campag chain.

Park tool as usual has loads of information.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    bobgfish wrote:
    Powertorque is the single axle vs split axle on the Ultratorque? Don't think they make a silver groupset with Ultratorque. Expensive tools?

Starting to have a big Chorus singing buy me instead. Buy me instead. If only they did a silver one with only the carbon bits in black.
    If you don't mind 10sp instead of 11sp, you can sometimes still pick up 2009 centaur stuff at bargain prices, including alu (silver) ultratorque cranksets and ultrashift ergos (with either alu or carbon lever options). You can usually also find the 10sp alu centaur rear derailleurs in very good 2nd hand condition on ebay. You can then mate these with, for example, the current athena silver skeleton brakes and veloce alu 10sp front shifters.
  • bobgfish
    Anyone know what color cables come by default with a groupset?

Anyone know where to get an older set with 172.5 cranks.

Beyond caring if it's 10 or 11 but must be silver...
  • Have been looking for an Athena for a new project, ebay has some good deals, example below, Merlin cycles also has an ebay store

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-2012-Camp ... _500wt_689
  • dcj
    dcj Posts: 395
    default outer cable colour is black.
  • bobgfish
    Think i'll be placing a call tomorrow.

http://www.bike-components.de/products/info/p25859_Athena-Komplettgruppe-11-fach-ohne-Naben-Modell-2011-.html

Hopefully they will swap the black for white cables and the English BB to an Iltalian. And if I'm really lucky the 12-27 or 11-25 for an 12-25