Forum home Road cycling forum Pro race

Why Garmin weren't on the original WT list

iainf72iainf72 Posts: 15,779
edited October 2011 in Pro race
Worked over by new sponsor

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/garmin- ... -collapses

Luckily Mr Ellis can dip into his bank account, eh?

When highly successful and ethical teams can't get sponsors, it does make you wonder if cycling really is the high value advertising medium people think it is.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Posts

  • edhornbyedhornby Posts: 1,780
    not good when you get right to the wire and then pull out...

    but Sky and Nissan have come into the sponsorship world recently so it shouldn't be impossible, maybe just unlucky for Slipstream.
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • graeme_s-2graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Who is Doug Ellis, and why is he bank rolling a cycling team? :?:
  • iainf72iainf72 Posts: 15,779
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Who is Doug Ellis, and why is he bank rolling a cycling team? :?:

    He's an investment banker who likes cycling. Paid for Slipstream from the outset.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    When highly successful and ethical teams can't get sponsors, it does make you wonder if cycling really is the high value advertising medium people think it is.

    I guess it does but then again this is business and sporting success might not be all they are looking for. I would be interested in the behind the scenes. I am guessing teams like Sky, modelling themselves on big sports teams like Man Utd, might have a better business machine behind them with better planning for marketing etc.

    I would be interested in an article such as this one: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/in ... 02011.html comparing the cycling teams business wise.
  • graeme_s-2graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    iainf72 wrote:
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Who is Doug Ellis, and why is he bank rolling a cycling team? :?:

    He's an investment banker who likes cycling. Paid for Slipstream from the outset.
    Thanks - similar model to Russian oligarch's in the Premiership then?
  • shinyhelmutshinyhelmut Posts: 1,345
    And Lance's biggest fan, Thom Weisel.
Sign In or Register to comment.