brakes.....

castlelad
castlelad Posts: 414
edited October 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
1....I've had the bike 6 week or so and im thinking i would like the back brake to be a tad firmer....i have been told just to turn the adjuster on the lever, i aint willing do this as my brother done it to his a while ago and now has horrendous disc squeal ....i would prefer to do things myself or am i better to go back to my lbs......?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The brakes are?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • castlelad
    sorry forgot to say.........TEKTRO DRACO.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    The squeal and teh adjuster arent linked, just bad luck. The adjuster only controls the reach of the brake from the bar (i.e. an adjustment to match the length of your fingers) it wont make the brakes bite more, although letting it out might make it feel like it does (which might be enough).

If you really want to change it then you'll need a bleed, which is either a fairly in depth home job, or a trip to your LBS.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • castlelad
    cheers....might give that a whirl and see if it feels better........neither of us can solve his problem, he's bled em,change pads,rotors, took em off and re-aligned em and still the buggers squeal......but aleast people hear him coming down hill......... :oops: