How much is too much?

2»

Comments

• springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Aim for around £1500 if you can afford it.For that price you'll get a decent frame, decent groupset and decent set of wheels.

As you said.... you'll avoid the trap of buying cheaper, but buying twice. Pitch yourself at 'XT spec equiv' (so below top of the range, but decent) and you'll not be looking to upgrade.
    With road bikes, you do seem to spend more money on wheels - I guess because weight makes more of a difference... but £300-400 will get a decent pair of hoops.

You could also spend a lot less than £1500 - but if you are 'that upgrade guy' spend the money up front and be happy with the initial spec.

Talking about first proper bikes. I spent £600 on my first MTB back in 1997, which was roughly 2 months wages.And then went on to spend almost all of my wages over the next couple of years upgrading it!
    I haven't spent as much on a bike since - in terms of % oif my wages

Think it does come down to disposable income. You don't need a nice bike, with good components and light wheels, but having nice stuff for your leisure time makes it somehow more enjoyable.
    Simon
  • DaveMoss
    DaveMoss Posts: 236

With some knowledge and care any old bike can be made good for little cost; without regular maintainance any bike will soon be rubbish whatever you pay for it.
    Sportives and tours, 100% for charity, http://www.tearfundcycling.btck.co.uk
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    bought mine a few months ago 2nd hand for 250 from ebay. A 10 year old bike in showroom condition (save a couple of small knocks I have put on it) with top of the range components (9 speed ultegra/dura ace).

There's always a bargain to be had somewhere - find an OCD bike cleaner and buy his.
  • I made my first purchase of a road bike in April not really knowing much about them, but got an end of line bike from Evans down from £950 to £650. I had done research on groupsets etc, but not enough on frames and the geometry.
    However the bug got me, and now I darent't add up the cost I have had in upgrades here, upgrades there, clothing etc. Certainly more than I saved in the first instance.
    2 Lessons:
    1. whatever you spend, remember to factor in the cost of decent equipment - doesn't have to be swanky team stuff, but comfortable and suitable will make a huge difference to your fun. not just clothing, spare tubes, pump, computer if you need one etc.
    2. Whatever bike you get, when you fall in love with the sport you'll want something more, so either think about spending more, which will leave you at the same problem but with a higher starting point, or make sure you get something that can be upgraded.

The biggest regret I have is that the frame on my bike is naff, although the parts are fine, therefore my upgrade will be via a new frame, as a complete bike is financially not viable. Big bonus is that this week I get to build my own bike from frame up and will (hopefully) end up with a bike that more closely suits my needs.
    Some people are like slinkies - not much use for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

http://knownothingbozoandhisbike.blogspot.com/
  • Avezius
    Avezius Posts: 132
    I would also recommend the 2nd hand option as a 1st bike.

I did some research & decided that a 2nd hand 105 level groupset bike would be ideal - good enough to ensure I wasnt going to feel the need to upgrade immediately, but within my limited price range to see if I liked it. I also decided I could sell it back for a similar price if I didnt get on with it.

Despite my research I actually got a bit fixated with "road wheels are too skinny" & "road bikes look too fragile" , hence the brief also including cyclocross! (silly now - I know).

Ended up with an Ebay special Alu cyclocross with 105 triple. About £300 all in, then switched for 28mm duranos & rode mostly on the road. Helped me decide what kind of bike I wanted in long term & how much I wanted to spend.

GranFondo delivered at the beginning of summer (on cyclescheme) & love it to bits - can really appreciate it now. I paid extra on special edition to get Rival but well worth it for me. Originally intended reselling the cyclocross to minimise total outlay, but will probably keep as winter bike now.

In my opinion, I would need to spend A SILLY AMOUNT more on a new bike to get a significant improvement in terms of spec & looks over what Ive got, which says to me that it was my personal sweet spot (£1150 paid - less so after tax breaks of cyclescheme).
  • indjke
    indjke Posts: 85
    ~600
    Boardman Team C / 105 / Fulcrum Racing 3