GXP B/B can a change to another B/B ??

timmyturbo
timmyturbo Posts: 617
edited October 2011 in Workshop
GXP B/B can i change to another type of B/B ??

on my scott addict R1 i put on a sram force carbon GXP chainset . does this mean that i am stuck with GXP , or could i put on something else ?? and apologies for my limited B/B knowledge

thanks in advance
Britannia waives the rules

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if you use a GXP crankset then you have to use a GXP compatible BB. If you change your crankset to a non GXP one you will need to change the BB as well.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If the question is whether you can use a non SRAM / Truvativ bottom bracket with your chainset? Then the answer is yes - Hope make an adaptor (about £8 ) than allows you to use a standard Hollowtech 2 BB with a GXP chainset.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    I've gone for a Hope Ceramic Bottom Bracket with my SRAM Force chainset too. The adaptor fits easily enough - but not sure how to remove it so i can regrease the bearings when required. The seal cant be removed with the adaptor pressed in. Anyone??
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Sharp tap on the end of the spindle should loosen the adaptor.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    the Hope adaptors only work with Hope HT2 BBs, as they fit directly inside the bearings. Other HT2 BBs have placky top hats (Shimano etc.) so you'd struggle to fit the adptors to these types.

The adaptors are indeed a bugger to get out once they're pressed in. I filed a small notch on the inner edge of one of them so I could prise/tap them out more easily at a later date. They should come with a notch as standard really but then they are a cheap part anyway.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    What is the (i) best, (ii) easiest, (iii) cheapest method of converting from BB86 (Ultegra) to GXP (SRAM Force)?
    Rich
  • mmacavity
    mmacavity Posts: 781
    It is possible to replace the bearings in Truvativ GXP BBs
    http://www.enduroforkseals.com/sitebuil ... _rwc_f.pdf

without any fancy tools.

more info
    http://www.hopegb.com/page_mep_force_57.html

Truvativ bearings tend to be shockingly poor quality.
  • nicklouse
    RichA wrote:
    What is the (i) best, (ii) easiest, (iii) cheapest method of converting from BB86 (Ultegra) to GXP (SRAM Force)?
    iirc the GXP press fit will do. but check first.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Wirral_paul
    maddog 2 wrote:
    The adaptors are indeed a bugger to get out once they're pressed in. I filed a small notch on the inner edge of one of them so I could prise/tap them out more easily at a later date. They should come with a notch as standard really but then they are a cheap part anyway.

Thanks for the tip Maddog. Makes sense to do that doesnt it - I didnt and so will probably have quite a job getting them out. I'll email Hope now and see what they say. Guess it will be a small flat blade screwdriver and accept a little damage - then file the damage out and into a notch for future access.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    RichA wrote:

I run a BB86 and a Sram Red crank and I use an Endura GXP pressfit. Sram also do a GXP pressfit in ceramic (expensive) and - I think - there's a steel one too.

Paul, if you damage your adaptors trying to get them out then I have some notched ones you can have. Just pm me me.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    maddog 2 wrote:

Thanks for the tip Maddog. Makes sense to do that doesnt it - I didnt and so will probably have quite a job getting them out. I'll email Hope now and see what they say. Guess it will be a small flat blade screwdriver and accept a little damage - then file the damage out and into a notch for future access.

Do email them - they respon quickly, and in my case ( a freehub change) they pointed me to the (endearingly amateur) video on their website of how to do it.

But if you're going to "drift" out the adaptors from the opposite side then use a small round bar rather than the (sharp edged) screwdrier blade if you can. A brass rod (drift) is perfect, but understandably not in many hope mechanics toolbox (inclidung mine") Or you could get away with using a snall length of 15mm copper pipe, possibly flattened at one end. (I use a length of 35mm copper pipe to drive on fork head races)
  • Wirral_paul
    The problem with the adaptors is there is two parts that press in from each side........ and they match up leaving nothing to get at them with. The notch mentioned by Maddog would allow access to start tapping the other part out
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    I may want to go down this road too. Just to get it clear, are there 2 adapter rings to each bearing?
    I have only been able to find Hope bearings with English threads though - anyone know if Italian ones are made?
  • nicklouse
    there are many aftermarket external bearings that work with the GXP standard.
    Hope/Enduro/Chris King/Token/First.

the reducers/adaptors are BB specific and may be two or one part.
  • careful
    there are many aftermarket external bearings that work with the GXP standard.
    Hope/Enduro/Chris King/Token/First
    Thanks nicklouse, but I have searched my usual suppliers (Wiggle, CRC, Merlin, Ribble) and have not found any Ceramic or Stainless with an Italian thread and which have adapters for GXP. There must be one somewhere!
  • nicklouse
    ok then try Betd they deal with Enduro give them a call

and you can have your ceramic bearings in a new cup or they should beable to use your cups and fit new bearings.

http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk ... c+Bearings

or go direct

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id191.html
  • careful
    Thanks nicklouse, will give Endura a try first.