Darker nights mean lights......

Peanutt
Peanutt Posts: 229
edited October 2011 in Road beginners
......or do they

Just a word of advice, don't leave your lights on your bike thinking that they'll be there when you return. Had mine nicked Friday night and now have to walk home every night until I can afford some more.

Always remove your lights if you intend on leaving your bike anywhere, trust me, you wouldn't believe how grumpy you'll get on the long dark wet walk home.
No matter where you are, that's where you've been

Comments

• Sorry to hear about your loss but I would have thought this was obvious... or have I missed something ...?
    A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it

Canyon Aeroad 7.0 summer missile
    Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • Muffintop
    Muffintop Posts: 296
    I kind of think you should be able to leave your lights on your bike.

I do it all the time - I just buy cheap ones though. At most I'm pootling about in the dark, so I just need enough so others can see me, and that there's no major object infront of me.

If I see something under a £10 I'll usually pick them up. Loosing them's a shame, can't you pick a cheap pair up at Asda?
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com
  • We should be able to leave our lights on our bikes, doesn't mean that we can.

People will nick anything.
    A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it

Canyon Aeroad 7.0 summer missile
    Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    My front one was taken on Friday too. I'd accidentally left them on a couple of time previously with no issues so had stopped bothering taking them off. Oh well.

N00bs left the bracket though so it's probably in a bin somewhere.

You live and learn eh. Think I'll superglue the replacement on :?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    A timely reminder. It is easy to just forget to take lights off (particularly the back one) and I know modern lights are generally great (compared to the old dim rubbish ones) but, by jingo, they are expensive.
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    I bought a new rear light in Edinburgh Bicycle coop sale at the weekend. One of their own 180 degree ones. I fitted it, switched it on, cycled to work (all of 1.92 miles) and found it had gone. I went back to look, but somebody must have picked it up.

I asked if they had had problems with the mount, and they said no, so I bought another one. It's been to work and back today, and is still there!

I have two of the small flattish cateye ones and always leave them on the bike, and have never had any problems. I think it is because they are relatively unobtrusive. It isn't left chained up regularly though, maybe once a week, and generally for no more than an hour.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    My bolt-on dynamo lights have never been nicked and they are quite expensive.
    I even used bolt-on lights with a battery. The battery, inside the mankiest old waterbottle was nicked, but not the light.
    I found that removable lights get dropped sooner or later and eventually crack.