Grease is the word!

ForumNewbie
ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
edited October 2011 in Workshop
Just bought a nice new road bike with Ultegra chainset. When I put the pedals on the cranks is it definitely okay to use Copper grease on the threads as anti-seize. Some people say that's okay to use, but most bike shops seem to use a pink grease. So which is best to use?

Comments

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    I use copper grease in various areas of my own bikes upon assembly - pedals being one of them.

The pink "grease" used by bike shops may actually be carbon assembly paste - wouldnt use that stuff on pedals to crank though as the cranks will have a threaded metal insert.
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    the pink grease could be tf2 grease

same as hope uses but they but in-trade with a blue dye..

works well and is all purpose

people will go on and on about lithium grease, but I also use finish line teflon, and the tf2 works better when exposed to water.......
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    The pink grease is the best grease, I don't think it's carbon assembly paste. Don't wipe it off, it's good stuff!
  • This is like asking "who would you sleep with- Marilyn Monroe or Bridget Bardot?"' It really doesn't matter- either would be brilliant. Unless you object to a barrier compound with extremist animal rights views.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Copperslip for non moving, moly for moving.

Copperslip is an anti seze cmpound and is slightly abrasive, so pedal threads, nuts and bolts, seat posts, etc etc.

Normal bog standard moly for everything else does the job fine and is a tenth of the price of the greases that the LBS will sell you in a cycling related packet. .
  • ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455
    Yossie wrote:
    Copperslip for non moving, moly for moving.

I thought that was hammer and gaffer tape?