brake sticking

funk-meister
funk-meister Posts: 34
edited October 2011 in Workshop
My rear brake ultegra 6700, six months old is now sticking against the rim after i use the brakes. I have widened the pads to temporarily solve the issue but is there a need to replace the cable or re lube the cable. There is some cable concealed in the top tube.

appreciate your thoughts people
Focus Izalco
Cube Agree GTC

Comments

• I had a similar problem with SRAM Apex, amongst many other problems.

Mine was solved by applying the brake VERY hard, while stationary.

Ultegra fitted last week. Perfection.
    Team Madison Genesis Volare & Condor Super Acciaio
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,321
    Take the brake off the bike, its not hard, just a couple of allen keys. keep an eye on where things are so you can replace in the right order. Failing that, just remove it partially, giving yourself enough room to clean the brake. Get all the dirt and grit out and there's a good chance it will work perfectly again.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Usual suspect would be gummed up cables - especially if they have had WD40 sprayed down them or not lubed after a wet ride. I'd undo the cable clamp at the brake and run some lube down the cable - pulling the cable through on the brake lever repeatedly. Should free it up nicely before reattaching. Easy to check the caliper while the cable is undone too
  • I don't do WD40 !!!!! Thanx for the tips.
    Focus Izalco
    Cube Agree GTC
  • As well as the cable, check the cleanliness of the spring and the nylon (or Teflon) guide it slides in at the back of the caliper. I've found grit/dirt here can cause the the caliper to stick.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    A thought - when you say sticking against the rim is it both sides or just one? If the latter it may just be that the brake needs re-centreing - loosen the brake bolt, apply brake, then tighten brake bolt. This centres the caliper on the rim.

6 months of summer use would IMO be very unlikely to result in cable issues.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    I wouldn't take the brake off in the first instance.

This time of year it is probably just gummed up. Take the wheel out and then that means you can squeeze the brake further open and then you can clean all the gunk out - it can often take quite a bit of squirting to get it all out.

You could also release the cable to make sure it wasn't just the cable jamming.

If that doesn't work then take it off the bike and give it a really good clean.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Back brakes tend to get a hammering from all the crud coming off the back wheel. However it could also be cables.

1. Release the cable clamp and verify that the cable is free to move back and forth. Replace if not.
    2. While the cable is off, if the caliper is still not moving freely, remove the wheel and brake pads.
    3. Apply a generous squirt of WD40 into the caliper pivot points. It's ideal for this sort of work; the solvents will help to break up the gunk but are not aggressive enough to damage the plastic parts in the caliper.
    4. Squeeze and release the brake a few times to help break up the contaminants. It should free up quite quickly.
    5. Mop up the WD40 and dribble a bit of heavier oil into the pivots.
    6. Refit pads, wheel and cable.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Help much appreciated. Thanku. Looks like I'm sorted out for an hour or so this weekend.
    Focus Izalco
    Cube Agree GTC