At my wits end drive train help

2»

Comments

• johnsav
    johnsav Posts: 775
    cooldad wrote:
    Pile them up like a kiddies stacking toy and make sure all the coogs line up.
    stacktower.gif

awesome
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I am a very simple person.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • johnsav
    simple but oh so effective though :lol:
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    My 9speed XT cassette doesn't have spacers; its got a block of 6 cogs attached to a spider that slide onto the freehub first, then 3 individual cogs that slide on the freehub in order of size.

Fair enough, was thinking they had the small black spacers, but the point is still the same then - there shouldn't be any spacer behind the cassette, and they should be exactly the same width as any other 9 speed cassette.

Cooldad's stacking idea's a good shout!
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Are you sure its not a 10 speed cassette with the smallest cog missing?
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    jairaj wrote:
    This.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • johnsav
    unlikely

the smallest cog is what the locking ring grips to.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I'd condsider taking it to a shop and letting someone who knows what they are supposed to look like have a look.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Mid range SRAM cassettes have the first 6 or so cogs on a spider and the rest are individual with a plastic specer between each one. Are Shimano the same? If so, could the PO have mislaid one of these spacers?

There must be something missing, otherwise the 2 cassettes would be the same size.

We need pics of it really.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    if I remember correctly my XT cassette has 5/6 biggest cogs on the spider and the 3/4 smaller ones loose but the spacers are not separate from the loose cogs they are one piece so I don't think you can mislay the spacers?
  • jairaj wrote:

The 10 speed XT cassette is different, the 3 larger cogs are on one spider, the next 3 on another spider and the final 4 are individual... He said his has 6 cogs on one spider and 3 individual cogs...

XTgroup_DynaSys-648x459.jpg
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    The 11t XT 770 has the spacer included on ring.

Depending on if 11-32, on the 12t cog that has the spacer included too.

The next 2 bigger cogs do have a shiny silver loose spacer (can't confirm without the bite test if it's plastic or not) but you'd struggle to get it wrong without there looking something seriously wrong - i.e. 2 cogs flush to each other.

I've changed my 11 and 12t cogs to a deore and left the rest XT. The deore's 11 and 12t cogs are bonded together and weigh exactly the same as the XT, if anyone cares.