Road Newbie Quandary - Trek 1.1 or Boardman Comp ?

muir.mackean
muir.mackean Posts: 15
edited October 2011 in Road beginners
I'm about to buy my first ever road bike at age 56. Have been using either my MTB or a 20-yr old hybrid on the road until now.
After a lot of online research and asking around, I've narrowed the choice to:
- Trek 1.1 2011 from my LBS at £550, four free services thrown in.
- Boardman Road Comp 2010 from Halfords at £560, one free service (although this would seem academic as the consensus is don't touch Halfords with a bargepole once you've got the bike).
I'm leaning towards the Boardman simply because all the user reviews I've read have been so ecstatic about it.
Any thoughts ?

Comments

• Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    The Boardman seems a really good buy, the 2011 model is £799 so you've done well to find one at that price. It's a great bike and perfect for a 1st bike if it fits you - ask at Halfords if they will let you ride it, even if it's only round the car park, see if it feels comfortable.

The only thing I would say the Trek has in it's favour is mudguard fixing point for winter and wet club riding. The Boardman you'll struggle to get guards on. Plus I like the idea of buying from a LBS with lots of free servicing, but you can always pay them to service your Boardman if you want.
  • I may be wrong, but I think the Trek is over a kilo heavier than the Boardman. That's a massive weight reduction for a tenner extra! I'd get the Boardman.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    The new boardman comp is a great ride, last years was better spec and i could not gte one in my size when i got my C2W vouchers.
    Buy the boardman assuming it fits and take it to the LBS for a service.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • thanks all for your sensible and balanced advice...I too like forging links with the LBS and saving money on services, but...I'm leaning towards the Boardman simply because it makes my heart beat faster, and the Trek doesn't !
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    thanks all for your sensible and balanced advice...I too like forging links with the LBS and saving money on services, but...I'm leaning towards the Boardman simply because it makes my heart beat faster, and the Trek doesn't !

You have your answer.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • thanks all for your sensible and balanced advice...I too like forging links with the LBS and saving money on services, but...I'm leaning towards the Boardman simply because it makes my heart beat faster, and the Trek doesn't !

Can I try and make your heart beat faster over the Trek? I recently did a short but mountainous tour in Australia on a Trek 1.1 I got on Ebay over there. Write-up and pics, including my thoughts on the bike, in my blog (see my sig).

Boardman - mmm yeah OK - they are certainly good value, just don't complain when your LBS closes down. :wink:
  • ...and to add, your LBS is throwing in 4 free services. They are really trying hard here to compete for your business. I would throw them a bone.

It's not just about being nice to your LBS though - the Trek really is a cracking little bike.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    thanks all for your sensible and balanced advice...I too like forging links with the LBS and saving money on services, but...I'm leaning towards the Boardman simply because it makes my heart beat faster, and the Trek doesn't !

You have your answer.

To clarify, you seem to have decided on the Boardman. I ride a Trek and love it, but it's your bike.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Can I try and make your heart beat faster over the Trek? I recently did a short but mountainous tour in Australia on a Trek 1.1 I got on Ebay over there. Write-up and pics, including my thoughts on the bike, in my blog (see my sig).

I quite enjoyed your blog about the cycling in Australia on the Trek 1.1 and took note of your comments about how much money some hobby cyclists spend on their bikes. I bought a Trek 1.1 last year and it works very well indeed and has helped me recapture my love of being out on a bike, pedalling my heart out. I can't complain about it at all. Perhaps unless you are a very serious cyclist out to win things, something like a Trek 1.1 is all that you need?

Admittedly I have added to it with aerobars and clipless pedals though.
  • "Can I try and make your heart beat faster over the Trek? I recently did a short but mountainous tour in Australia on a Trek 1.1 I got on Ebay over there. Write-up and pics, including my thoughts on the bike, in my blog (see my sig).
    Boardman - mmm yeah OK - they are certainly good value, just don't complain when your LBS closes down."

Read and enjoyed your blog, HebdenBiker. Now you're making me feel guilty...I know and like the owner of my LBS, have ridden with him a few times, and whatever bike I buy he'll get to service it, and I do spend money in his shop (if not new bike-type money), but my loyalty to 'support your local business' stops just short of ignoring my instincts/gut feeling on something like this. Of course my instincts/gut feeling have been way off the mark on many occasions in the past...
  • "Can I try and make your heart beat faster over the Trek? I recently did a short but mountainous tour in Australia on a Trek 1.1 I got on Ebay over there. Write-up and pics, including my thoughts on the bike, in my blog (see my sig).
    Boardman - mmm yeah OK - they are certainly good value, just don't complain when your LBS closes down."

Read and enjoyed your blog, HebdenBiker. Now you're making me feel guilty...I know and like the owner of my LBS, have ridden with him a few times, and whatever bike I buy he'll get to service it, and I do spend money in his shop (if not new bike-type money), but my loyalty to 'support your local business' stops just short of ignoring my instincts/gut feeling on something like this. Of course my instincts/gut feeling have been way off the mark on many occasions in the past...

I guess "gut instinct" is important. I have the opposite "gut instinct" about Boardman. I don't deny that they are well-specced bikes for the money; I just can't love them. Perhaps it's because they've a stranglehold on the market, using economies of scale, and an exclusive deal with the UK's biggest bike retailer, to blow away the competition. Our LBSs cannot compete because they are not allowed to stock them. Maybe it's because they are brand new, so don't have a pedigree in racing/competition. I know Trek aren't exactly a niche brand either, but they have a distinguished place in the history of the sport. They were early pioneers in MTB too, way back when I was getting started in competition in the early 90s. So I do feel some goodwill towards Trek, I admit. Or maybe it's because so many Boardmans are bought by people who've never been anywhere but Halfords to buy a bike, making them a default, if fairly uninformed, choice for many. They're like Audis and belly buttons; everybody's got one :D

I realise my opinions stated above are just that; opinions, instincts and highly subjective preferences. You will buy the bike that floats your boat the most. Good luck with your choice and enjoy your riding.
  • "I have the opposite "gut instinct" about Boardman. I don't deny that they are well-specced bikes for the money; I just can't love them. Perhaps it's because they've a stranglehold on the market, using economies of scale, and an exclusive deal with the UK's biggest bike retailer, to blow away the competition. Our LBSs cannot compete because they are not allowed to stock them. Maybe it's because they are brand new, so don't have a pedigree in racing/competition. I know Trek aren't exactly a niche brand either, but they have a distinguished place in the history of the sport. They were early pioneers in MTB too, way back when I was getting started in competition in the early 90s. So I do feel some goodwill towards Trek, I admit. Or maybe it's because so many Boardmans are bought by people who've never been anywhere but Halfords to buy a bike, making them a default, if fairly uninformed, choice for many. They're like Audis and belly buttons; everybody's got one :D "

Perception's a funny thing, isn't it...when I started seriously researching road bikes, about 2 months ago, being a newbie to road cycling (I had been MTBing for a while), I was very familiar with Trek, saw the shiny new ones in the LBS and regularly came across them on roads and trails, but I had never even heard of Boardman bikes...knew of and admired Chris Boardman of course, but had never seen one of the bikes anywhere (to this day the only ones I have ever seen were in Halfords). Initially I assumed this was some boutique operation making limited-edition bikes for four figure sums, and then I started to come across all these enthusiastic reviews from owners, and also discovered that they were, in fact, affordable. And only sold by Halfords. But finding that out didn't shift the idea of Boardman as some kind of niche product, whereas Trek was big Yank corporation, volume producer, competent but a little dull. So that's where I'm coming from. Boardman is Apple (as was) to Trek's Microsoft. Anyway next week I hope to ride both bikes (at last) and make a decision.
  • Yes. Well. If you think that Apple are niche and cool, then you will probably feel at home on a Boardman.
  • dg74
    dg74 Posts: 656
    Boardman by the proverbial mile. Honks all over the Trek, better bike, lighter, your LBS will service it no matter what.

What's the point of 4 free services when if the bike is set up correctly the first time then all it needs is minor tweeks in the coming months - cables adjusting, etc.

Get the Boardman.
  • dg74
    "Can I try and make your heart beat faster over the Trek? I recently did a short but mountainous tour in Australia on a Trek 1.1 I got on Ebay over there. Write-up and pics, including my thoughts on the bike, in my blog (see my sig).

I guess "gut instinct" is important. I have the opposite "gut instinct" about Boardman. I don't deny that they are well-specced bikes for the money; I just can't love them. Perhaps it's because they've a stranglehold on the market, using economies of scale, and an exclusive deal with the UK's biggest bike retailer, to blow away the competition. Our LBSs cannot compete because they are not allowed to stock them. Maybe it's because they are brand new, so don't have a pedigree in racing/competition. I know Trek aren't exactly a niche brand either, but they have a distinguished place in the history of the sport. They were early pioneers in MTB too, way back when I was getting started in competition in the early 90s. So I do feel some goodwill towards Trek, I admit. Or maybe it's because so many Boardmans are bought by people who've never been anywhere but Halfords to buy a bike, making them a default, if fairly uninformed, choice for many. They're like Audis and belly buttons; everybody's got one :D

I realise my opinions stated above are just that; opinions, instincts and highly subjective preferences. You will buy the bike that floats your boat the most. Good luck with your choice and enjoy your riding.

Complete and utter horsesh!t.
  • Maybe it's because they are brand new, so don't have a pedigree in racing/competition.

Olympic gold? World Road Champs?!
  • dg74 wrote:
    "Can I try and make your heart beat faster over the Trek? I recently did a short but mountainous tour in Australia on a Trek 1.1 I got on Ebay over there. Write-up and pics, including my thoughts on the bike, in my blog (see my sig).

Please take lessons from the post beneath yours on how to debate with someone you disagree with.

You know that last point in your signature? Keep working on it.
  • Maybe it's because they are brand new, so don't have a pedigree in racing/competition.

Olympic gold? World Road Champs?!

Ah. Do you mean Nicole Cooke? Well then, that's a fair one. I hadn't realised she rode a Boardman. Looks like they've done OK in the triathlon world recently too.

I'm still not feeling the Boardman love though, I'm afraid. I'd need more convincing before I'd ditch my local businesses and buy from Halfords. I think the OP has made up his mind to get the Boardman, though. Hope he loves it. And that he gets his spares and services from his LBS :wink:
  • dg74
    dg74 wrote:

Please take lessons from the post beneath yours on how to debate with someone you disagree with.

You know that last point in your signature? Keep working on it.

Righto tough guy
  • Kerguelen
    Kerguelen Posts: 248
    Or maybe it's because so many Boardmans are bought by people who've never been anywhere but Halfords to buy a bike, making them a default, if fairly uninformed, choice for many.

No, I don't think mine was an uninformed choice. I built my last bike from the frame upwards, and built my own wheels as well so I like to think I know one end of a bike from t'other.

But I still bought a Boardman, because I liked it.

Your brand snobbery is impressing no-one.
  • dg74 wrote:
    Boardman by the proverbial mile. Honks all over the Trek, better bike, lighter, your LBS will service it no matter what.

What's the point of 4 free services when if the bike is set up correctly the first time then all it needs is minor tweeks in the coming months - cables adjusting, etc.

Get the Boardman.

Hi Chris!
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Kerguelen wrote:
    No, I don't think mine was an uninformed choice. I built my last bike from the frame upwards, and built my own wheels as well so I like to think I know one end of a bike from t'other.

But I still bought a Boardman, because I liked it.

Your brand snobbery is impressing no-one.

Sigh.
    Or maybe it's because so many Boardmans are bought by people who've never been anywhere but Halfords to buy a bike, making them a default, if fairly uninformed, choice for many.

Once again:
    I wrote:
    many
    all

And I also said this:

The OP and I were discussing "gut instincts". He gave his, I gave mine.

Brand snobbery jibe way off the mark. See blog. My bike is unbranded 'cos I built it up myself from a rusty old frame (With a bit of help from a mate - I don't have your skills. Yet :wink: )