Bottom bracket -lifespan and replacement

robgriffin247
robgriffin247 Posts: 22
edited October 2011 in Workshop
Hi, how long can I expect a bottom bracket to last?

its on a specialized allez (http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec019408) and its the shimano sora crankset (shimano FC 3403) and so far it has done 1000km, by the time I take it for a holiday next year that will be around the 2500-3000km mark - so would it be worth replacing before I go?

Ive never done a bottom bracket replacement before - I have stripped bikes down to components and refurbished bottom brackets but never replaced the bracket - would I have to have a certain model (like for like) or are the fairly compatible within or even across brands? (I'd like to pop a ceramic in there - maybe SRAM)

Thanks,
Rob

(this is probably a pretty basic q and I feel like the answer is something I should know considering I've been dismantling and rebuilding bikes for years - please forgive me!)

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    They should last for 10s of thousands of miles if they've been properly installed and are not subjected to things like pressure washes...
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • The Specialized Allez Sport Triple from 2010 uses a Shimano BB-ES25 Octalink internal cartridge bottom bracket. Unless you ride in wet conditions all the time, that bottom bracket should last you many years.

If you want to switch to SRAM's ceramic bottom bracket, you will also need to change the crankset. The Shimano Octalink crankset on your bike is not compatible with SRAM's GXP ceramic bottom brackets.

Personally, I've used SRAM's GXP bottom bracket and I'm not impressed. Maintenance is tedious-- To clean and relube the GXP bottom bracket, you need to remove the bearing seals without tearing them, and putting them back is just as big a hassle. I've gotten rid of my SRAM GXP bottom bracket and bought a Chris King instead.
  • Thanks for the info- considering I'll be riding throughout the winter in sweden (cold, wet, and salt on the roads) I'll keep an eye on it and replace it with a like-for-like if it wears out
  • Hi Rob

My shimano bb's last about one and a half winters in scotland before they rot.

You may wish to take the cranks off every six months or so and give the bb a spin. If it is gritty then you may need a new one. If it is really worn you can feel it with the cranks still on.

Alan
  • I've found the BB's on my Sora commuter went at about the same rate as my tyres (to be fair I was working near the coast). Maybe I was just cursed.
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    I've a 2010 Allez elite and have done over 3000 miles. When I changed the chain I intended removing the bb and checking it, but it spun extremely well with the chain off, so I decided to leave well alone.