Pannier Suggestions

robgriffin247
robgriffin247 Posts: 22
edited October 2011 in Road beginners
Hi,

I'm planning a 2-3 week tour in the summer, I normally do day trip riding so before I can tour I need to invest in panniers and a rack to put my stuff in- is there any racks and bags that you would recommend- ideally I want to be able to carry a basic camping kit, a couple of changes of clothes and some tools and spares for the bike - I reckon it will be about 40 litres maximum - I might not bother with camping kit and just stay in b&b's!

So what do you recommend?
>>Which Rack?
>>Which Bags?

I have a specialized allez sport triple 2010 (which I absolutely love - clocked up 1000km in a year and its been perfect- not even a puncture, I didn't realize it was possible to do that!) and it has the attaching points for racks already.

Whilst I'm here do you know any good compact pumps - mine broke last week and I'd like one that is pretty sturdy for the tour!

Cheers!
Rob

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Get a frame pump. If you're running a loaded bike then what's the point of mucking about with those useless mini-pumps.

As far as panniers go, Ortlieb are always a safe choice.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • It is possible to fit camping gear in 40 litres but you've got to be pretty lightweight, you won't get in a couple of changes of clothes.

panniers - I have Altura which I like. If you want to spend a bit more, Mrs Luddite has a pair of Carradice and a pair of Vaude which are both very good.

Pumps - I have one like this http://www.topeak.com/products/Pumps/MountainMorph which has a fold out foot and a flexible hose so it's a bit like a mini-track pump. Much better than a compact pump.

I'd also have a look on tour and expedition bit of the forum - there's a guy there who's put rack on his allez with photos showing how he did it.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Search is your friend. There have been so many threads on this you could make a full set of panniers :wink: .
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Ortlieb, Ortlieb or Ortlieb. Pricey but well worth it IMO.

I think I had this on my Allez: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-super-to ... rear-rack/ It can be a pain to fit though as the brake gets in the way. I think I crossed them in the middle so the left arm was attached to the right stay. Seemed rigid enough on the bike but not sure how much weight I would trust it with.

Bear in mind that the Allez frame is pretty compact so you could have an issue with your feet hitting the pannier if you have big feet. I was able to get clearance for my suze 12's.