Trying to buy local

stubs
stubs Posts: 5,001
edited October 2011 in MTB general
After a new jacket for winter and I quite fancy the look of the Endura convert soft shell. I usually buy off internet but have made a concious effort to buy local recently. Go to a well known independent bike shop to try one on. As I am built like a badly shaved gorilla the L and XL didnt fit but the XL wasnt far off so asked if they had an XXL in stock. No but we can get you one in, I ask how long and was told 2 weeks and I had to pay full whack up front :shock:

So I have to pay up front and wait 2 weeks for something that might not fit. I pointed out that if I ordered off chainreaction or the like I could have it by tuesday morning. This kicked off a finger jabbing rant about the evils of the internet which carried on as I walked out the door.

I was prepared to pay full RRP but I have never been asked to pay up front to get something in to try on. What a way to lose a sale and make sure the punter never ever even if they were the last bike shop on the planet goes back in that particular shop.
Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Not good service - shops like this are supposed to give you better service! I'd have told him where to go, and let all the bikes tyres down.

How's your head/shed? ;-)
  • stubs
    When he started the rant I never said a word my jaw was hanging down in shock. He must be having a bad time but if thats how he treats his customers no wonder. The thing is I wasnt trying to chisel him on the price just wasnt prepared to pay up front for a 2 week wait.

Shed has been reassembled the degreaser brought the floor up lovely and I even found some spare ball bearings and an allen key when I was cleaning up. Just need to fix the bike now. :lol:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Why don't you name the shop??
    50 miles a week is not enough I need more.
  • stubs
    Why don't you name the shop??

Nope people who know the area I live in will recognise the shop but I am not getting involved in a slagging off contest. I only posted it because I was so gobsmacked.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I didn't get a rant but got the "you must pay in full to order something just to try on" from Evans. They were nice about it though.

This is the problem I'm finding a lot now. Few LBS actually stock stuff other than cheap bikes and BSOs for people who basically aren't going to ride or for kids bikes.

If you actually want stuff for really riding, then the stock is limited.

I'm in the market for a full face helmet and whilst I could buy online on spec, I'm never too sure about the fit. Ask online and the advice comes back "try before you buy", but I go into the shops and not one has helmets I want to try and especially in the sizes I want. Evans in fact told me that they don't stock them now because they only sell a handful in a year.

I could order online, try and return, but I have to pay and claim a refund and a number of retailers are now stating they won't accept returns on helmets due to H&S.

Had the same issue with regular helmets, clothing that isn't roadie or commuter, and shoes.

Mind you I find shops in general now are a disappointment. Few have what you want, and what they have is very expensive. They quote their overheads of being a shop but in no way are they justified in the amounts they charge.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    deadkenny wrote:
    I could order online, try and return, but I have to pay and claim a refund and a number of retailers are now stating they won't accept returns on helmets due to H&S.

Threaten them with the distance selling regs, they'll back off.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • stubs
    deadkenny wrote:

I could understand that I wouldnt particulary want a dose of nits, but they could supply a disposable cotton or paper cover to put on before you try on the helmet. I was in a sports shop in Spain to buy a pair of swimming shorts and they had thin paper shorts to put on before you tried the cossie on.
  • Anonymous
    stubs wrote:
    I could understand that I wouldnt particulary want a dose of nits, but they could supply a disposable cotton or paper cover to put on before you try on the helmet. I was in a sports shop in Spain to buy a pair of swimming shorts and they had thin paper shorts to put on before you tried the cossie on.
    It's more that they won't accept returns because they can't be sure the helmet hasn't been used and taken a hit in a crash as they can't resell them if they have.

A number of sites now state this up front before ordering.
  • stubs
    deadkenny wrote:
    stubs wrote:
    It's more that they won't accept returns because they can't be sure the helmet hasn't been used and taken a hit in a crash as they can't resell them if they have.

A number of sites now state this up front before ordering.

Got you thats understandable.
  • I try and buy local wherever I can, but its got to be a two way thing. Shops have to earn your custom too, they don't have a right to it 'cos they're just down the road.

I've suspected one local bike shop of ripping me off before, but I'm not really one for confrontation to have let them get away with it. Bad I know, but it has at least made me think beyond the LBS and not feel guilty about that.

That doesn't help you with your trying the jacket on problem though. :)
  • stubs

That doesn't help you with your trying the jacket on problem though. :)

Going to get one from tinterweb and keep my fingers crossed it fits.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Got my convert II the waterproof not soft shell version from Leisure Lakes in Breaston (Derby/Notts) travelled 30 miles for the same reason after a similar experience with my LBS when trying to pick between this the soft shell and Gore Phantom.

Leisure lakes had all the Garments in all sizes the store in Preston is about 5 times the size of the one in Notts so I m sure they would have them all in stock.

Went for the Waterproof one in the end. The soft shell is lovely and fits great but I wouldnt fancy its rain beating properties.

I try whenever possible to support the LBS but the guy who runs mine admits to charging what he calls a "W*nker tax" to Newbies and Mamals so some of them just dont help themselves and then winge about outfits like CRC who IME are nothing but quality when it comes to service.
  • stubs
    Preston Leisure Lakes has gone very roadie in the last year and they didnt have a large range of sizes last time I looked. Unfortunately the only way I am going to fit into roadie type gear is if I have my shoulders surgically removed :lol:
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I guess the shop wants you to pay for it because they want to a) guarantee you come back for it and b) dont want to be left with stock they had already decided they didnt need

From a business point of view they order what they think they will need and be able to sell, anythign they order they cant return so if a herd of "bigger build" people come in looking for jackets they dont stock and they order them because of the long lead times there is a good chance the people will have bought elsewhere.

Its sad that shops have to deal with such long lead times from their suppliers but thats the way it is - my LBS left me hanging for something like 3 weeks just for a deore crankset!

For Deadkenny - its a bit of a trek but you could try AW Cycles in Reading for full face helmets - they used to stock them - call first!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Markmjh
    Markmjh Posts: 415
    stubs, depending where you are in lancashire i have always found All Terrain Cycles just outside Bradford carry a lot of larger sizes. I have had the same issue many times as i have wide shoulders(and belly! lol), but have had a couple of jackets from them and some shorts :-)
    Ride Crash Ride Again
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Payment in advance is a good example of an unfair term as defined by The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1994. Perhaps you could help them out by ask them if they'd like you to get trading standards or the OFT to offer them some advice.
    I guess the shop wants you to pay for it because they want to a) guarantee you come back for it and b) dont want to be left with stock they had already decided they didnt need

Take a deposit then?
  • stubs
    Markmjh wrote:
    stubs, depending where you are in lancashire i have always found All Terrain Cycles just outside Bradford carry a lot of larger sizes. I have had the same issue many times as i have wide shoulders(and belly! lol), but have had a couple of jackets from them and some shorts :-)

Unfortunately I am in Lancs but about as far from Bradford as you can get and still be on dry land :lol:

Going to take a punt and get one from CRC will only cost me about 3 or 4 quid to send back if it doesnt fit my rippling muscly body :oops:
  • stubs
    diy wrote:

Take a deposit then?

Would have been happy with that 10 or 20% deposit seems fair to me 100% and they can get stuffed
  • I'm sure Wiggle refunds postage when I've sent stuff back there before - so no loss at all, not sure about CRC though.

What I never understand is shops moan about the internet taking their business, but it never seems to occur to them to start selling on the internet themselves!!! :shock: I know they still need to have the cash to buy stock in the first place, but there's nothing stopping them from making a few quid on ebay as a start!
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    I work in an lbs which also sells a bit online. The problem is, many of the big dealers get such good trade rates as they build a few bikes a year so get components direct from factory. If you want something ordered in then we have decided it is not going to be easy to sell. If you put 10 or 20% on something then a shop still has stock which owes it money which it may never sell. An XXL jacket though is sometimes useful to have one in from each manufacturer to try though so he was unreasonable.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    I guess the shop wants you to pay for it because they want to a) guarantee you come back for it and b) dont want to be left with stock they had already decided they didnt need.

In response to your two points, a 10% deposit is usually enough to get the customer to come back. No need for full payments and Endura usually do stock rotation, so a XXL jacket that won't of sold can be returned to Endura for a credit
  • hyperman
    hyperman Posts: 232
    So your argument is that you had to pay for it in full, like you would have to when ordering from chain reaction? And that he had a rant at you because you were bragging that you could get it quicker off the Internet....you can't expect a small lbs to keep everything in stock and as for leaving a deposit he may not have systems in place to take deposits, and a lot of small businesses will ask for enough of a deposit to cover the cost of the item in case you don't return, so 10 or 20% wouldn't be enough so they just ask for full payment..other than the long wait I don't really see what the problem is..
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    hyperman wrote:
    as for leaving a deposit he may not have systems in place to take deposits.
    such as a pen,a receipt book and a till??? pretty poor shop that
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    hyperman wrote:
    other than the long wait I don't really see what the problem is..

That you have committed to buy it before seeing it and trying it on. What if it doesn't fit?

With an on-line retailer you can cancel and send it back.
  • Anonymous
    Buy, try and send back for online items is fair enough as you have no choice really. As long as you get a refund though. You might still lose out on postage though!

However, for hundreds of years you've been pretty much able to go into a shop to try something on without having to pay 100% up front for the privilege!

Sure, you get the money back if you don't like it, but it's a pain especially if you're just shopping around, and more so if most shops don't hold stock.

I've been getting fairly annoyed by this with a lot of shops recently. Not specifically bike stuff. Local shops are only stocking the most popular items and nothing of variety. You can no longer browse in shops. You go there to get the standard popular or basic stuff and that's it.

Thing is, they stock what's popular and what's popular is so because that's all they stock.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    mutter mutter mutter. When I was a lad...
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • buying local is becoming less attractive now given you covered by the distance selling regs so can return items very easly now no matter where they are from, pretty much.

If you buying something that you need to try then local shops do help, but i would never buy from them tbh given id just go online and then buy after trying it on in their shop :wink: ...unless ofc they are cheaper / can match price...or if they very good customer service id pay extra.

I had good service at a running shop where they after much advice suggested i order a size 12 running shoe even though im size 10, wasnt in stock but they searched out and ordered one in within a week, then phoned me to let me know it had come in.

no charge either or obligation to buy :D

(sweatshop barnet nice work)
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • GSP1984
    GSP1984 Posts: 79
    I always try and buy local just incase there is a problem with the item I've bought, I can nip back in easy enough and ask about it.

You can normally always get close to online prices in shops, but they do have more overheads so you have to give them some help.
  • Anonymous
    Have to admit I tend to use the local shop to try something and then get cheaper online so I can see how this pisses them off.

But their choice is either to moan, or do something about it to compete (or go out of business).

Some places will try to price match or at least offer something near an online price. I don't mind paying a little more than online to save the hassle of waiting in for a delivery or having to collect from a depot, so long as it's not the massive mark-up that some charge. And offering a good service makes me want to shop there again.

And yeah, it was much better in my day. Half penny chews, free school milk and Grifter bikes.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Half penny? I had to pay in old english groats!