New Chain set Settling in Period.

markdavidhill
markdavidhill Posts: 279
edited October 2011 in Workshop
Is a new chain set expected to be perfect (or near as damn it) from the outset or do they settle in to become better?
Team Madison Genesis Volare & Condor Super Acciaio

Comments

• If the chainline is ok, and front & rear derailleurs are adjusted properly then a new chain should be 100% from the get-go until it wears out after x-1000s of miles.

I just had a silly problem of my own making after changing chain and sprockets but not realising that I was missing (or needed an extra) spacer on the cassette. Had a few weeks of rattly rides and constant derailleur fettling until I realised what the real problem was...
    Litespeed Tuscany, Hope/Open Pro, Ultegra, pulling an Extrawheel trailer, often as not.

FCR 4 (I think?)
    Twitter: @jimjmcdonnell
  • What problems are you having?
    If it's skipping a bit it will be because the cassette is worn, if you live with it for a while the chain will rapidly wear to fit the cassette and then the skipping will go away.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • What problems are you having?
    If it's skipping a bit it will be because the cassette is worn, if you live with it for a while the chain will rapidly wear to fit the cassette and then the skipping will go away.

Actually, it's an entirely new groupset. Ultegra.

Very occasionally, on the first ride yesterday, it sounded like the chain was jaulting a bit.

Everything else was perfect. Smooth silent changes.
  • Have you got it on the right way round? The new Ultegra chain isn't symetrical, it still works okay if you have it on backwards, but gearshifts will be a bit slower and it might be noisy.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • Have you got it on the right way round? The new Ultegra chain isn't symetrical, it still works okay if you have it on backwards, but gearshifts will be a bit slower and it might be noisy.

Interesting point. I didn't fit the set, my lbs did.

It is fitted with the Shimano branding on the outside of the chain.

Is that correct?
  • I'm pretty sure that is correct, especially if there is no branding on the other side. Maybe the indexing is out slightly (1/8th of a turn of the cable tensioning screw) on the rear mech? Or maybe the "b" tension screw needs adjusting, if the top jockey wheel is running to close to the cassette it can feel a bit rough. Most noticable in lower gears.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Did they join the chain with a quick link type thing or a snap-off pin?

I'd watch the chain very carefully as it snakes through the rear mech to make sure you haven't got a stiff link or something not properly joined.