Bent frame? Pace RC405 2010

M_rift04
M_rift04 Posts: 504
edited December 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey guys - I know its a fairly old post but I have a quick question. I have recently bought a Rc405 and it looks like the rear triangle is bent do you agree?

I think its sitting to far to the left. I have set the wheel centre in the QR so that's not the problem. The tyre is not central all the way around but that's weird no?

The distance between the left hand side tyre wall and the tube is small, almost 3mm or less.

IMG-20111019-00664.jpg
IMG-20111019-00663.jpg
IMG-20111019-00662.jpg
IMG-20111019-00661.jpg
IMG-20111019-00659.jpg

Thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I have set the wheel centre in the QR so that's not the problem

Not sure what you mean by this: is the wheel correctly dished?
  • M_rift04
    I mean the QR is sitting how it should be (Just so people wouldn't go for the easiest solutions).

As for the dishing, I'm unsure. That's a good point. I've just had a quick look and it seems that the wheel is off true :s really not sure how. I span the wheel and rested my finger in the gap (The small gap mentioned above) and the gap stays the same even though the wheel will need some truing...

I haven't been able to find any pictures of the rear triangle on any forums that show the correct distance between the tyre and the triangle. Maybe this is how its suppose to be?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Some frames have very little clearance with some sized tyres.

Put the wheel in the wrong way round - is the gap now at the other side? If so almost undoubtedly a dishing problem.
  • M_rift04
    Yes it is, well sort of... :)

After putting the wheel in the other way (freebody on the brake caliper side) the gap mentioned before (Left hand side tyre and tube) had evened out to be perfectly central, however the top of the triangle how is off to the right (the opposite way)

Shown in picture

ffffffffffffffff.jpg

It seems like what you said has been made evident. (The picture merely illustrates the finding on the actual wheel)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Doesn't sound like a frame issue then....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • M_rift04
    That is great to hear. I'll get to work tomorrow and let the lads in the workshop have fun with the wheel.

Cheers Supersonic and The beginner.
  • alright mate, did you manage to get the issue sorted, as i have a similar issue with mine the bike is with pace at the mo and theyre adamant its not a frame issue so it can only be a wheel issue,
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    As a rule, as long as the wheel is in line with the seat tube, you're fine. Most frames nowadays are somewhat asymmetric to allow the designers to work around BB shells, shock mounts etc, so spacing between seat stays is rarely the exact same. As SS says, having switched the tyre and got the opposite result, you have an out of dish wheel. Pretty common on rear wheels (especially machine builds) as the tension on the spokes is uneven between the sides, and so it tends to pull to the non drive side after a while, eventually it will probably settle so that the rim is directly between the flanges if you did nothing to rectify it.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • bonezy
    bonezy Posts: 129
    Ask Pace if the stays on that particular bike are supposed to be asymmetric, I reckon that they're shaped differently, not bent