Does cold weather wear you out?

2»

Comments

• DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    While crisp bright days are some of the nicest day to be out I've had some odd physical reactions to cycling in the cold.

Last year between Xmas & NY I cycled from London to see a mate in Brighton and felt great in the saddle, nice moment atop the Downs with a bit of snow in the air etc. Hands & feet might have been a bit chilly but Roubaix bibs & a hefty base layer seemed to be a good balance - wasn't too warm when working, didn't numb-up on descents. Upon arrival I was initially fine (except for being told that I was required to put on some jeans in front of the kids...) but after 10 mins or so was sitting in front of a rad because I just couldn't get warm, uncontrolable shivering lasting maybe half an hour, nothing traumatic but an odd reaction none the less.

Cycling in similar condition since hasn't led to a repeat performance but - back on topic - does leave me feeling unusually drained, not sore or phyiscally fatigued as a harder ride might but simply very drousy.
  • No hassles with the cold at all, as long as it's dry with no ice/snow about on the road the temperature doesn't bother me. Having to face relentless wind and rain is a different story though...

I think my optimum temperature for riding is somewhere between 5 and 15C.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    I feel that my muscles work slightly less efficiently in single-figure temperatures. Even if my core body temperature is ok my leg muscles don't seem to warm up to quite the same extent, everything feels less fluid.

I have a related theory about why many people are a bit slower in cooler temperatures. In cold conditions, especially if it's windy and/or wet, you tend to be tensed up a little instead of having that relaxed, everything-hanging-out feeling you have when the temperature is warmer. It's one part of the whole spectrum of involuntary physiological responses you have when your body is regulating itself to retain heat rather than to lose it, the same thing that makes you sit with your arms out and legs apart when you are really hot to increase surface area for heat loss, and bunch up when you are cold to conserve heat. I suspect that on the bike, being "braced" against the cold like this makes your pedalling action less efficient and your position less aero.
  • neeb wrote:
    I have a related theory about why many people are a bit slower in cooler temperatures. In cold conditions, especially if it's windy and/or wet, you tend to be tensed up a little instead of having that relaxed, everything-hanging-out feeling you have when the temperature is warmer. It's one part of the whole spectrum of involuntary physiological responses you have when your body is regulating itself to retain heat rather than to lose it, the same thing that makes you sit with your arms out and legs apart when you are really hot to increase surface area for heat loss, and bunch up when you are cold to conserve heat. I suspect that on the bike, being "braced" against the cold like this makes your pedalling action less efficient and your position less aero.

well also you're more likely to be slowing and accelerating more, cornering on slippery roads etc, rather than maintaining speeds
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    well also you're more likely to be slowing and accelerating more, cornering on slippery roads etc, rather than maintaining speeds
    True. Even when it's not raining in the winter there aren't that many days when the roads aren't wet.