Avid Elixir 5 (on 2011 Fuel Ex8)

wolfman310
wolfman310 Posts: 17
edited October 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello There,

After every meaningful ride, such as Cannock, or most recently Snowdon up the Llanberis path the brakes go to pot and need bleeding. The only time they are ok is when i have just been out on the road.

I have had the bike 2/3 months now and it will be the 4th time they have needed to be bled. I am use to brakes needing very litte maintenance.

First few times they were done from a shop then by myself as i bought the epic bleed kit.

What happens is they lose all the resistance on the lever meaning when you squeeze them they get all the way to the handlebar without doing much.Once bled they are pretty good and resistance happens after only quarter distance there or there abouts.

Any ideas what i can do or what is wrong? They are runining what is a fantastic bike.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Is there any fluid leaking?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No brakes need bleeding that often - every year or two maybe.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • No fluid leak as far as I can tell.

The bike lives in the kitchen for the time being and hasn't been any puddles or stains.

The bike only gets washed with a hose and sponge, no jet wash.

I thought every year or two for bleeding, when they work they seem pretty good.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    random guess, is the bike stored upside down?
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • After this last trip it has been stored upside down, but on previous occasions i don't think so, but had been laid flat for long periods in the back of the car as that is how i get about, seats down, bike in the back with pedals off and the red spacing chocs in the brakes.

Do you think the being laid flat or upside down could be the cause?

If so are all brakes like that?
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    I have elixir 5s, they're two years old and have needed bleedng once during that time, and quite recently at that.

It sounds very much like they are getting air in the system somehow. Or they haven't been bled quite right.

Does the exact same thing happen on both front and rear brakes?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Does pumping the lever not help?

Storing them upside down/on their side can do strange things to brakes sometimes. But a dozen full squeezes of the lever always sorted it out for my Juicys.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Front and rear the same problem, though the front went first I think.

Bike is all stored, but will give them a dozen squeezes in the morning and report back. Sounds like being on its side or upside down is a cause.

Thanks for all your help.
  • my elixers sometimes do this.

the night before a ride i was told by a leisure lakes tech to zip tie the levers so they were close to the bars. worked a treat

however they are both back with sram having their stuck piston (seals) changed

im hoping they send back new replacements as they are only 2 months old.

they will be going straight in the classifieds
  • Do you know what zip tying the lever does at all Paul?

Which brakes you going for next?

I have been reading about shimano saints, and formula the one.
  • zip tying will lock off the master cylinder
  • ichabod
    ichabod Posts: 78
    I have the same brakes and eveery time I start a ride, the front one is almost useless for the first 10 mins or so.. I have to pull the lever right to the bar before it bites at all. After a while it seems to "warm up" and act normally.. could this be the same issue? (and what IS the issue?)
  • Pumping the lever has helped the rear one bite sooner, and would get away without bleeding it again, however the front one needs bleeding as there isnt any bite. Will bleed both though.

The problem is I don't think a £2300 bike should have so many issues with its brakes. When they work they are pretty cool though.