Felt RXC pro headset bearings

damien55
damien55 Posts: 63
edited October 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I need to replace my headset bearings on my Felt RXC pro 2007 but I struggle to find the exact spec of the bearing.

Apparently the headset is a "Headset Integrated 1-1/8" Aheadset-Cane Creek Type 45° Sealed Cartridge Bearing"

I have read that some bearings are 45°/36° and some just 45 (I presume 45/45). How do I know which one I need to get?

Another question: The top bearing comes out easily but the bottom one seems to be stuck in the frame. Is the bottom bearing usually pressed into the frame for an IS headset or is it just seized due to some corrosion of the aluminum (I ride my bike on the road during winter on salty roads)

Damien

Comments

• Hi All,

I've asked Felt directly by email to confirm the type of headset and they found the description from the 2007 frame.

This is the description on our file for 2007 specs.

Integrated 1-1/8" Aheadset--Cane Creek Type 45 Degree Sealed Cartridge Bearing, with Alloy Laser Top Cap, Custom Curved 1 x 15mm + 2 x 5mm Straight Washers

What is a Cane Creek Type 45 Degree sealed cartridge? Is it 45/45 or 45/36?

Thanks in advance
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    take them out and have a look. or post pics and we can have a guess.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Is there no code on the bearings you have?

45x45 is the Campag Hiddenset integrated standard. 45x36 is the IS standard, so very likely the latter.
  • Thanks guys,

I'll take pictures and post them here. I will only take a picture of the top bearing as the bottom ons is stuck in the frame.
    I will also try to find if anything is written on it but last time I checked I could not see anything.

Also is it normal that the bottom bearing is stuck in the frame? is the bottom one supposed to be pressed in?

Damien
  • supersonic
    No, should come out. Sounds like has rusted/bonded in.
  • :(

Looks like I will have to get a tube and hammer to take it out.
    Any tips before I break something? Maybe LBS for that one? Or loads of WD40.
    I think this is due to the salty roads as it damages aluminium.

Damien
  • supersonic
    Yeah, WD4 or Plus Gas should help.
  • Ok, I managed to get the bottom bearing out. Wasn't pretty nasty. I have now cleaned the cleaned the head tube and the old top bearing drops in easily.

I have taken some pictures but you can't see much. I also could not find any makings.
    I am pretty sure that the angle of the outside race is 45 and the inside one is 36. The Outside Diameter is 41mm and the inside is about 30mm to match a standard 1 1/8" steerer tube. If I follow the Cane Creek guide that should give me a SHIS : IS41/28.6|IS41/30.

I will then order some Standard Cane Creek bearing. According to the table in the link below the 1 1 / 8" S2 / S3 / ZS2 / IS2 model should fit.

Here is a link to the headset.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cane-creek-headset-bearing/

Please tell me if I am in the right.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Damien