Looking to upgrade gf`s mtb, brakes or suspension?

BigLee1
BigLee1 Posts: 449
edited October 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
My lovely gf has been mtb`ing with me for just over a year from being a person who wondered what the attraction of cycling was to doing the Red route at Glentress and a good few rides at our local, the excellent whinlatter forest :D

Her bike is afew years old with some Rockshox Judy TT forks and V brakes.

I`d like to upgrade her bike a bit and would probably go for the braking rather than suspension. Her back wheel was destroyed so she has a disc compatable hub now and the frame and fork will also take discs. Her front wheel won`t so will need replaced.

Can anyone suggest a disc brake set that is good but won`t break the bank and also a front wheel!

2n`d hand items will be considered as well if anyone has upgraded to bling!

We`ve done well so far with upgraded pedals, grips and brake blocks along with rides to boost her confidence :lol:

If anyone has and Panaracer rampage 2.1`s going cheap they will also be appreciated :)

thanks for any advice folks :D

Lee and Fiona

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I've probably got a set of rampages kicking around. Let me have a look.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Suspension without a doubt. The TT is a bloody awful fork, no control or damping at all.
  • Formula ORO K18s from Chain Reaction are very cheap and work very well.
  • Si1988
    Si1988 Posts: 158
    The only difficulty I foresee with going for the fork first, would be getting a deal on a decent unit with v-brake bosses. Most, if not all the good deal's I've seen on toras and the like appear to only have disc mounts. Most of the forks that come with V bosses probably wouldnt be a marked improvement.

Also, maybe ask her, if she could change one thing, what it would be? Unless of course you intend to surprise her that is.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Personally I'd go for good used parts, you can get reasonable forks, hydro discs and a new front wheel for circa £120 upwards.....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    Yep, we'd be looking at good 2nd hand kit as cash is very tight at the moment :(
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As an indication I'm running some Manitou Skareb forks, £55 delivered off ebay, 2005 so V and disc brake, I've done Cannock and about 100 miles on them locally on trails with no issues at all....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.