play in new headset?

Big Question
Big Question Posts: 82
edited October 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I fitted a threadless headset on my bike for the first time couple of months ago. The problem is there noticable play in the headset. If i sit on the bike grab the bars and pull them back/forward i can feel and see the slight movement of the dust cover under the stem. theres not a lot of play and its only really noticeable on rocky downhill decents but its there. if i take the stem off and tighten the top cap anymore the steering becomes very stiff.

what can i have done wrong, i was very carefull to put the headset in correctly, so im stumped really :roll:

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    edited October 2011
    if i take the stem off and tighten the top cap anymore the steering becomes very stiff.

why take the stem off? it is needed to allow you too preload the bearings.

slacken stem bolts adjust the top cap bolt and then tighten the stem bolts to hold it all together.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sorry i didnt mean take stem off i meant slacken off stem bolts then tighten top cap.

if i loosen stem bolts then tighten the top cap any more the steering goes stiff and the bars wont turn freely, i cant get a balance between the steering being free and no play
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Then something is wrong - did you take the old crown race off before putting the new one on?

Otherwise what headset is it, and a pic might help.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mister p
    mister p Posts: 405
    Did you replace the crown race on the fork when you fitted the new headset?

I made the mistake once of assuming that because I was fitting the same model headset as the old one I could get away without changing the crown race. Turns out they had changed the model so the new bearings didn't sit on the crown race properly. i couldn't get that to work, it either rocked or was so stiff you couln't turn the bars. I ended up buying a more expensive headset and swapping everything, including the crown race.