XTR M988 rubber nut sleeve...

BG2000
BG2000 Posts: 517
edited October 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I've 'upgraded' my levers to M988, which I purchased without hose. My existing XTR hose fits OK, but the M988 levers need a specific rubber nut sleeve that slides right over the nut and over the end of the reservoir body. I also think there's a newer short version of the nut. It all works fine without these, but doesn't look so nice.

Does anyone know how you can get this rubber sleeve ? There doesn't seem to be such thing as an M988 hose kit.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    why? less weight without them.

any Shimano dealer.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • BG2000
    It's partly asthetic...the lever's reservoir looks quite long without the sleeve. If you slide the sleeve back on an M985/M988 lever you'll see what I mean. And there is the practical reason of keeping mud off the nut threads.

I've seen photos of the hose kit bag, i.e. the olive, nut, yellow spacer block, rubber sleeve etc.. all in a plastic bag. I'd like to be able to buy that if possible, and then replace the hose with something durable, i.e. braided Goodrich, or something similar.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Don't bother with Goodridge hoses, heavier, expensive and negligible performance benefit.

Any Shimano dealer (ie any shop) will be able to get the boot, Google 'BL-M988 spares diagram' and you'll probably get an exploded diagram which will give you a part number, something like "8CY 9801", any shop can then order said part from Madison post free. You could just skip the middle step, but it'll ensure you get the right thing!
  • mister p
    mister p Posts: 405
    The part number you need for the bolt cover on XTR is 8JA 0700, they are £1.99 each and in stock at Madison so your local bike shop can get a couple for you.

Parts diagram
  • BG2000
    Thanks again.

I hadn't realised Madison's website had that much info - it never used to.

http://www.madison.co.uk/lib/zoom/smbh90f.jpg confirms that an XTR hose kit does exist and the rubber sleeve comes with that. I need the shorter nuts to go with the sleeve, and changing those means new olives etc.. so I may as well replace everything in one go.