How to eliminate play in a headset

IronHorse100
IronHorse100 Posts: 302
edited October 2011 in Workshop
Just bought a second hand machine as a winter trainer. Trying to tighten the aheadset using the central bolt but still lots of play between fork and bottom of the headtube when I rock with the brakes on.

Not sure I have the tools to fix the problem - it might be a star nut or something that needs tightening further down. Any advice appreciated.

download3h.jpg

download1jh.jpg

download2m.jpg

Comments

• Did you undo the stem bolts firstb before tightening the central bolt cos if you didn't it will never tighten up? :)
  • Yes I did. I'm now tightening the central bolt as much as possible but still have play.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    got a gap?

fork11.jpg

or is the top cap bottoming out?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • hmmm - the top cap tightens (hand tight using allen key tool) completely - as tight as I can get. But I notice the spacer under the top cap remains loose. Here's what it looks like with top cap/spacer/bolt removed:-

download6j.jpg

download4.jpg

download5.jpg
  • nicklouse
    looks like your expanding wedge has slipped up the steerer. needs refitting correctly. Though it does look like it would be better to replace it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • ah - thanks nicklouse.

I turned upside down to retrieve all the parts. Have I got the right order to put them back down the steerer? :

download7.jpg

Where abouts should the expanding wedges sit?
  • anyone?
  • nicklouse
    black wedge (top) silver serrated collar. sliver double wedge, silver serrated lower black weds screwed onto top one.

so it looks a bit like.

29439.jpg
  • thanks - put back together now - I think it might be fixed.