Ayups?

2»

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    ibbo68 wrote:
    In what way are they not efficient?Over 7 hours run-time is not efficient? (and mine are 4 years old) My Magicshine burns out in half that time

Efficiency... What is more efficient, a car that can travel 500 miles from a 50 litre tank, or a car that can only travel 250 miles but from a 20 litre tank? Battery life isn't a good indication of efficiency, since it's also an indication of how big the battery is.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    ibbo68 wrote:
    In what way are they not efficient?
    efficiency is about lumen per watt, not the Wh of your batteries. My Merc SL has an 80 litre tank, which means I can drive almost 500 miles, but its still only doing 20-24mpg on a good day. I would not call it efficient.

I thought I explained in the previous ay-up thread that the LEDs were XPE/XRE CREEs which produce about 230 lumen per amp vs current tech delivering about 400-450 per amp.

i.e 1/2 the output.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Northwind wrote:
    Battery life isn't a good indication of efficiency, since it's also an indication of how big the battery is.
    OK but the battery is small(about 1/2 size of pack of fags)so to me the battery life for something the size of 4AA batteries is good it's also smaller than the one on my magicshine and lasts twice as long.
    diy wrote:
    ibbo68 wrote:
    In what way are they not efficient?
    efficiency is about lumen per watt.
    I thought I explained in the previous ay-up thread that the LEDs were XPE/XRE CREEs which produce about 230 lumen per amp vs current tech delivering about 400-450 per amp.

i.e 1/2 the output.
    I don't care about Lumen per feckin Watt.To the layman Lumen per watt is just a load of tech bollocks.The lights and battery are tiny,they last hours and have a good beam spread which is all I and most people will care about :wink:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Do you have the twin unit ie 2 battery packs?
  • sniper68
    supersonic wrote:
    Do you have the twin unit ie 2 battery packs?
    No.
    Single unit,1 battery pack which in now permanently cable-tied to my "night" helmet 8)
  • Northwind
    ibbo68 wrote:
    OK but the battery is small(about 1/2 size of pack of fags)so to me the battery life for something the size of 4AA batteries is good it's also smaller than the one on my magicshine and lasts twice as long.

But producing less light. Now if you take a modern LED and run it at lower power to match the output of your Ayup, you'll get better life. This is where efficiency gets you both ways.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • sniper68
    Northwind wrote:
    But producing less light. Now if you take a modern LED and run it at lower power to match the output of your Ayup, you'll get better life. This is where efficiency gets you both ways.
    I get that but do I really need more than 7 hours battery life?
    No.So they're efficient enough for me.I used to have 5W halogens with a battery the size of a water bottle and less than 2 hours of power so 7+ hours is good enough.
    As for less light how much do you want.I have 1 set of Ay-ups(helmet) and a bar mounted Magicshine.The Magicshine is turned off until we get to a really techy DH.So for the DH's I have roughly 1200L(if the manufacturers figures are to be believed) and the rest of the time I'm riding with around 300L which is more than enough 8) Any brighter and I might aswell just ride in the daytime :wink:
    It's getting ridiculous.I'm riding the same stuff I used to ride with 2X5w Halogens but now I have much brighter lights and we're now reading about riders who want 4KL+ :roll:
  • supersonic
    This is the crux of it: if is enough for you then why change? I have rode in the dark on 100 lumens. Not pretty but I did it! Do prefer more ;-)

Explains why the Ayups runtime is high, the LEDs are driven quite low. But you get longer runtime, so if that's your bag no one can complain.

But... if the time comes for an upgrade I'd send back to AyUp and retrofit with XML (as opposed to buying a new unit). This will nearly double output for the same runtime, or if they change the driver, twice the runtime for the same output.
  • Northwind
    ibbo68 wrote:
    I get that but do I really need more than 7 hours battery life? l:

Nope... So instead, have a battery half the size that gives you 3.5 hours. Which can mean having a self-contained light instead of a seperate battery pack, or could just mean being lighter, and would be cheaper to boot. Or, have one emitter instead of 2 on your unit and get the same light.

None of this means there's anything wrong with the light you have o'course- but it makes it a less good option than the competition for people buying new.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • sniper68
    supersonic wrote:

But... if the time comes for an upgrade I'd send back to AyUp and retrofit with XML (as opposed to buying a new unit). This will nearly double output for the same runtime, or if they change the driver, twice the runtime for the same output.
    I thought this could only be done at point of purchase?I didn't realise you can upgrade older units?
    I was going to buy a 2nd unit to replace the magicshine so if it's possible I'd send back the set I have so both old and new units were the same 8)
  • supersonic
    Just had a look on the website:

http://www.ayup-lights.com/products/76/

Seems quite a good deal, and good to see my maths was right lol! Nearly double output for 4 year old AyUps!
  • ibbo68 wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

I thought this could only be done at point of purchase?I didn't realise you can upgrade older units?
    I was going to buy a 2nd unit to replace the magicshine so if it's possible I'd send back the set I have so both old and new units were the same 8)

Yeah ayup will upgrade your current set if you look on wed site ( lighting upgrade) but currently out of stock :roll: .

STILL HAVE NOT MADE UP MY MIND :oops:
  • diy
    we remove your LED's and replace with the latest and greatest from CREE. For those who know LED's they are from the R2 bin and are the brightest in their class.

what do they mean?
    the latest greatest from cree do not come in R2!
    No R2 is the brightest in its class.

I'm guessing at best you are getting an XPG at higher current?

Does anyone actually know what LED they fit as the upgrade?
  • supersonic
    I would contact them and ask about the XML to be on the safe side. The 'twice' the output suggests the XML, but the text is confusing.
  • diy
    According to CPW they were still using XRE in the 2010 model. According the the above link the light upgrade is 10% brighter So not an XM-L or XPG.
  • supersonic
    This is why it needs to be checked. Either way, they offer upgrades and I am pretty sure they will have XML available to order, which should about double the existing output.
  • supersonic
    Aye, but I'd never buy them!
  • Kinda worried i may get stung for import duty and tax and if i did would push the price up to much :x
  • diy
    V4 landed cost is £330.51 assuming it would be consumer electronics category.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Some on the commuter forum bought Ayups, the single light (so two heads, joined together) and paid £15 in duty. Others paid nothing.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."