Anthem X4 2011 settings

gmacz
gmacz Posts: 343
edited October 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Anthem x4
Must be owners with experience of setting the suspension.
Save a lot of time for the newbies if you posted your settings.
I have the standard settings online but instead of spending a lot of time tweaking the suspension it would be good to know the best pressure,sag and rebound.
Both front and back.
Do you change settings for different terrain, road etc.
I normally use 30psi for hardtail tyres, do you go higher pressure due to suspension taking the hits.
It looks like a standard schrader valve on the front and rear suspension, can a track pump or compressor be used.
This will be my first full sus bike and any help would be welcome.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    gmacz wrote:
    Anthem x4 is getting on a bit in age.
    Must be owners with heavily tweaked settings.
    Save a lot of time for the newbies if you posted.
    I have the manual settings online , owners must have fave settings with size of bike and owner weight. Pressure, best sag settings and rebound.
    Both front and back.
    If you use different settings dependant on what terain you are on.
    Normally 30psi for hardtail, do you go higher due to suspension.
    It looks like a standar schrader valve, can a track pump or compressor be used.
    First full sussy bike.

What?

please try again after reading some of the FAQs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • gmacz
    tell me what the problem is and I will modify.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You post just doesn't make any sense! What are you asking?
  • gmacz
    Hope that is better.
    More used to technical forums where everyone is on the same wavelength and accurate descriptions are not needed.
    The gist of it is close enough.
    SUpersonic- Thanks for that
    Nicklouse- :roll:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What's best for you is what's best for you. Set to around 25% sag and experiment with all the twiddly knobs and things.
    You need a shock pump.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    tyre pressures see the FAQs
    shock and fork sttings. set the sag and adjust to your riding style and trails.
    get a suitable shock pump.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    Accurate answers need accurate descriptions ;-). Especially on technical forums where mistakes can mean accidents.

You must use a dedicated shock pump for the suspension. It is low volume, high pressure. Track pumps cannot reach the pressures required.

Start at 25% sag and experiment from there. Most people do this.

Tyre pressures are purely personal preference: will depend on rider weight, tyre type and volume, conditions etc.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Lots of useful stuff here, including setting up suspension etc
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=40043
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    You should always pump up your shock with Nitrogen. I find the 80% variety you can get on ebay works best
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • supersonic
    I prefer the 79% Yorkshire version personally ;-). 1% coal dust prevents leakage from the valve.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    As the guys say, set the sag to 25% or so, set the rebound in the middle and go ride... my only tip would be that you need to cycle the suspension several times to get it moving properly before you set things up the first time, otherwise you may find you get very little sag at all.

Personally I initially set mine to about 20% and then slowly softened everything over a few weeks until it started to feel squirmy... then I put a bit more air in and I have not touched it much since. I don't know the numbers off the top of my head, but I think they were nowhere near the settings quoted in the manual.

Also set the O rings before each ride. If you take some big-ish hits and the O-rings show you are getting pretty much full travel then that's a reasonable indicator that you are about right. If you are getting full travel when riding on the road then the suspension is too soft. If you get only 75% travel when landing drops then its too hard - though the general noise and discomfort will have hinted at that already.

I run my tyres about 35 psi... but only because when they are much softer they just don't feel quite right to me. I suspect most people think this is too firm, but then I don't really care what other people think.

Did you not get a shock pump with your bike?
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • gmacz
    Thanks for all the input, will put it to good use.
    Bike due Mondayish and will play with settings on delivery day.
  • gmacz
    Got my new bike today as per delivery details.
    When ordered, I asked for the fork lockout to be tested, fork manuals to be included and the pump to be in the box.
    Everything was done as per my instructions.
    You just need to ask, when ordering.
    Bike looks great, everything is set up and ready togo.
    Suspension is pretty much correct and will use it a couple of times and then fine tune.
    XL really is a BIG bike and is just perfect for me.
    With giant it is all the little neat touches that make the bike look value for money.
    Love the colour combo and the setting scales on all the important parts.
    Well done Pauls cycles and of course Giant.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    So have you posted in "Your Mountain Bikes" yet? I talked myself up to the Anthem after looking at £600 hardtails... but after 2,000 miles of riding I know I made the right choice.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building