Cup And Cone Hub, Play But At One Point Only

jedi_master
jedi_master Posts: 888
edited October 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
No matter how much I adjust the cones on my brothers hubs there always seems to be a very tiny amount of play at one point in the wheel and it's always at the same point, even when the QR is done up tight. When the wheel is out of the bike I can wiggle the axle and have no play except at one point(very faint, have to push up and down with a little force). If I adjust the cones a little more to remove the play then I can feel it's too tight.

I have checked the axle and it looks straight, so any ideas? I was thinking that maybe the the metal plate that covers the bearings wasn't complete straight. I didn't want to tap it with a hammer as I wasn't sure as to whether it's just pressed in or actually part of the hub.

Using my Deore skewer seemed to make a difference, so maybe it's the skewers, although that doesn't explain why when the wheel is out of the bike I can feel a small amount of play at one point only.

I have serviced a few times in the past and I am sure has always been like this as the skewers were tight, cannot remember though.

Comments