Avid Elexir 3 bleed kits

kene
kene Posts: 47
edited October 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello my Avid Elexir 3 needs bleeding my local Lbs wants £15 per brake, was told i could buy Avid bleed kits on ebay for cheap.Had a look at ebay and found one by epic for £10.99 as Avid want about the £30 mark, all well and good looked at sram site on how to bleed elexir brakes they used a bleed block between the pistons.
The cheap kit does not come with the bleed blocks, should i buy the original Avid bleed kit or is the cheper one ok been told i could use a clothes peg as a bleeding block, has any body got eny :idea: pls would be Appreciated Thanks Ken :)

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I have the cheaper one, works well. You do need a spacer for the pads, but can make one - as long as it keeps the pistons pushed fully back, all is well.
  • I got the expensive kit - it is a bit of a rip-off but does the job.

Why not keep an old set of pads and keep them jammed open with a screwdriver? The block does work very well but I am not sure it is really needed.

By the way, you can get the same brake fluid (Dot 5.1) in Halfords. The same size of bottle that comes with the kit costs £6.50.