Where SHOULD have Cav gone?

kfinlay
kfinlay Posts: 763
edited October 2011 in Pro race
Quite a lot of posts on other threads saying Cav to Sky is not good.
Which team should he have gone to instead of Sky? And why?

Personally I don't see it as a bad move but agree it could make things difficult in GT's where Wiggo and Cav are both riding. However, I can't think of a better option - one or two maybe as good but not really any better. Genuinely interested in peoples' opinions on this.
Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum

Comments

• SLX01
    SLX01 Posts: 338
    BMC
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    SLX01 wrote:
    BMC
    Don't you think there are too many chiefs there already?
    Evans, Hushovd and Gilbert!

Or is it because you want to see him ride a BMC !
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • SLX01
    SLX01 Posts: 338
    kfinlay wrote:
    SLX01 wrote:
    BMC
    Don't you think there are too many chiefs there already?
    Evans, Hushovd and Gilbert!

Sky are not much better in that respect its just that the BMC chiefs actually win stuff! I must admit I am a bit biased and Sky just get on my tits I don't know why they just do.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    He shoulda gone to Specsavers.

But seriously - Saxo Bank might have been good for him. They might not have a GT leader next year, they ride Specialized, they have money, they need ProTour points....
  • Garmin Cervelo
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Garmin Cervelo

Tyler & Heinrich say no.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,096
    Tyler and Heinrich don't win enough to have a say.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    BMC have hte leaders. But They lack depth in terms of support for leadout trains that are a huge benifit to any sprinter.

Cav going to Greenedge would have been a great story GB's golden boy riding for the Aus 'Super Team'.

I have lost track of who is going well with the Quickstep/Omega/Lotta team gig around so hard to draw any conclusion as to how that would pan out.

When you break it down Sky seems the best choice for the season. I don't he will win as many TDF stages this year. But if he wins gold in London no-one will care. I do get an impression Cav would be even prepared to help Wiggins get some TDF success even if it may mean sacrificing stage wins (for 2012).
  • TMR
    andyp wrote:

I didn't realise the GC DS posted on this board...
  • Leopard-Trek-Nissan-Shack, they need someone who can win something :wink: And Cav can go downhill fast :)
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    High Horse.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Could have stayed where he was. Cuddly Bob had a sponsor ready to go but lost Cavendish Therefore lost the sponsor.

Would have kept a lot of guys in a job
  • andyp
    Could have stayed where he was. Cuddly Bob had a sponsor ready to go but lost Cavendish Therefore lost the sponsor.

How many people have actually lost their jobs?

Every rider has got a team for next year for a start.
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Could have stayed where he was. Cuddly Bob had a sponsor ready to go but lost Cavendish Therefore lost the sponsor.

Didn't realise that, which sponsor was that and when did Bob say that?
  • andyp
    andyp wrote:

Between them Farrar and Haussler have won 8 GT stages. Cavendish won 7 this season.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    to be honest Cav (great tho he is) needs a strong team for lead outs...Sky has it pretty much sorted there. Brad sounded a little harsh on him few weeks ago...am thinking there could be rivallry there but can see the likes of Wiggo and Froome busting up long climbs leaving Cav to win the sprints but behind with the straglers....roll on next year I say :D
  • Thought Renshaw would be leading him out as usual :wink: just a different team paying Renshaws wages :D
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • TMR
    andyp wrote:
    Between them Farrar and Haussler have won 8 GT stages. Cavendish won 7 this season.

I don't need a lesson thanks, I do follow the sport :P

I was simply pointing out that I very much doubt GC would upset the apple cart just to get Cav.
  • andyp wrote:

this forum is fucking full of arm chair DS!

Cav's a big boy, so is Bernie for that matter...and Danny Pate too!
    if it was such a bad decision, you'd have thought someone would have told one of them!
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    For me he should have gone to Motorpoint. Someone needs to give Rapha a run for their money in the 2012 Tour Series :lol:
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    I'm biased, but once HTC disbanded I can't for the life of me see how he'd be better off anywhere else.

At Sky he has Ellingworth, he has Dave Brailsford who will bend over backwards for Cav to make sure his pre-Olympics schedule is what he wants, and he has riders that not only does he know, but that he knows will work their socks off for him. He also joins a team that needed a frontline sprinter.

The only team that would put more team effort into Cav is Greenedge. BMC and Garmin make no sense. OPQS made some sense, but their big money signing would have been immediately wishing he hadn't joined.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    For the sport in this country I think he's got the right team. For the Olympic bid, I think he's got the right team. For his personal long-term career, I'm unsure. What I don't understand is that of he'd signed multi-year we'd know about it. I suspect he's only gone for one year's terms. Tells me he thinks his long term future is not at Sky.

Only time will ultimately tell based on the success he has. All this talk about him needing a train etc is probably true but wherever he ends up he'll get his own personal team built around him.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512

Corneyole - is that you ?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,530
    acidstrato wrote:
    this forum is ******* full of arm chair DS!

Duh, it's a pro-race cycling forum.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    cougie wrote:

Corneyole - is that you ?

My thoughts exactly.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092

Source? Its very far from the version of events I heard.
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Thought Renshaw would be leading him out as usual :wink: just a different team paying Renshaws wages :D

I had thought of this as well. Renshaw gets lead out train, makes break for line but who's that on his wheel for the last 2k? Oh yes its Cav, who comes past in the last 100m and takes the win!

Sky don't need a train (apart from Eisel getting Cav onto Renshaws wheel) they let Rabo go for the win with Renshaw and Cav just finishes it. Perfect :lol:
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,441
    The person best placed to decide where Cav is best off is Cav. I'm sure he thought about it in terms of likely success and his own financial future quite a bit before deciding where to actually go. On that basis I'd say Cav should have gone to Sky :wink:
  • Richj
    Richj Posts: 240
    I think for Cav this is the best move. With his links to the coaching staff of Sky/BC the set up of the team I don't think there was another viable move.

What makes me uneasy is, Sky came into Pro Cycling saying the aim was to win the Tour with a British rider in the next 5 years, I must admit at the time I thought, no chance! but with Wiggins performance in the Vuelta and Froome's I think they have a real chance in 2012. In my view bringing in Cav jeopardises this goal.

Sky's problem might be what will be classed as success next year?? Is a podium for Wiggins and a couple of stage wins for Cav a success or failure?? With people asking what they could have had with only Cav or Wiggins.
  • Slightly off topic but I will be fascinated to see how it pans out next year. I think it is a good choice for Cav but also, I am pleased we will have another team in GT's who are actually try and fight on two fronts unlike the Leopard Trek trains etc who are only interested in GC.