Rock Shox Judy XC Quill Stem Adapter, What do you think?

Djsounds02
Djsounds02 Posts: 12
edited October 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I bought some forks off eBay a bit back and the steerer is about 20mm too short.. I was thinking of getting something like this..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pazzaz-Black- ... 3367d9520e

My plan is to cut the steerer a bit shorter slide this in and clamp the stem onto that, I am guessing that with the wedge inside the moves it will also pull the bearing down too when connected onto the stem?

Im using an Onza Mongo III Headset and havent got a stem yet.

What do you guys think?

Or do you need a bit more info?

Comments

• louse
    louse Posts: 80
    nope. it is for a Quill type steerer not an Aheadset steerer. the ID is not standard.
  • What is a quill type steerer?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It is to converts 1" threaded fork to be able to use a threadless stem.
    So will be too small.
    Even if not, you would likely die.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • louse
    yes and that is for a quill stem which yours is not.

a Quill type steerer has a defined ID. A Aheadset steerer does not onlz the OD is defined.
  • my ID is 25.4?

I'm only new to this, Sorry if you have to speak slowly! Just dont understand why not when it says - Adapter that enables you to make your steering tube longer without affecting the Ahead system.

It doesnt mention quill anywhere?
  • cooldad
    edited October 2011
    That would probably work, but depends on the riding you intend to do.
    I wouldn't risk my life on anything more than lightish xc.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What steerer does you fork have?
    Takes a standard 1 inch quill frame over to a 1 1/8 inch A-Head stem.

Inner fork diameter 22.2mm to 1 1/8inch A-head.

Does it match the description of the item? It Can't be used with a threadless steerer.
  • Supersonic: I posted a second link, did you see that one? Why would the adapter need a steerer that was threaded? The wedge widens and grips to the inside.. My issue is whether it will grip and pull the adapter and headset together..

Will mainly be Light XC really nothing major no jumps I dont think but I expected this still to be ALOT better than a single bolt and star nut I mean for a start its connected alot further down the steerer and gives a solid piece of metal all the way up the steerer? Surely that would provide more strength than a thin bolt and a star screw?
  • cooldad
    The star nut is simply to preload the bearings. It does not hold anything together. You can loosen it off once the stem is tightened up.
    The stem hold the forks in place on a threadless set.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • supersonic
    I suppose the first can bodged to work with theadless but some sort of adaptors would be needed or spacers as you don't want to clamp to the steerer/extender overlap. The second one with spacers should work as are needed for the adjustment as you say. I am not aware of the wedge pulling the stem and spacers down though, you may have to use another method ie by hand. Unless it has another method in the top like a dual bolt for adjustment.

Still need to know what steerer you have as Judy were available in 1, 1.125, and 1.25 sizes.

The star nut and bolt is purely for adjustment, provides no strength at all to the system. The problem is the steerer being too short for sufficient stem overlap.

The other option is a headset and stem with lower stack height.
  • louse
    again it will not work.
  • Louse: Why will it not work if there is a product for this?

supersonic: OD - 1.125 / ID - 25.4mm
  • bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    It will work best if the fork has a chromolly steerer tube with an ID of 25.4mm. Chromolly will take the pressure of the expander bolt/nut ok whereas an aluminium alloy tube might not for same given wall thickness (usually 1/8"/2 or 3.175/2 mm).

You would opt for the larger of the two adaptors (ie 25.4/28.6).

You would lose the ability to preload the headset bearings using the headset cap (as others have noted), but that is easily overcome by sitting on the top tube of the bike as you install the stem.

Make sure that the join between the top of the steerer tube and the adaptor (once fully inserted) is not at the same level as the headset compression ring and top cover.

A note when it comes to shortening a steerer tube:

1) A total noob will mess it up;
    2) A noob will mark the required length with the measurement transferred from the frame using measuring tape;
    3) A pro will actually assemble everything onto the frame in a dry run, preload the headset bearings, add spacers, install stem etc, before marking the required steerer length directly.
  • So you have confidence in it acctually being sufficient? Howabout my theory of it being just as strong, if not stronger?

I guess im as bad as the guy that sold it short as I measured my frame and guessed at the headset height and stem collar. Thought it would work, but surprise, surprise!

Anyway I'll order the thing, its not a massive fail if it doesnt work, it's only £11 or so.
  • supersonic
    I'd say it was weaker - an uninteruppted steerer compared to a shortened one with an expander wedge - more to go wrong with the latter.

But not to say it is not strong enough ;-)
  • cooldad
    But if it isn't, you will die.
    Maybe.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools