Shimano HG53 chain splitting

richard2
richard2 Posts: 23
edited October 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I have the above chain, and wanted to shorten it a bit. Im aware it has one pin which is designed to be taken out, so I split it taking out that pin. I then shortened it by removing one of the other pins - which was VERY difficult! Is it normal for them to require hell of a lot of force to get out? I ended up with the chain tool in a vice, tapping the handle with a hammer.
I have managed to shorten it, but could do with removing another link, trouble is I broke my chain splitter while using the vice/hammer method so need to wait for the new one to arrive!
Is it usually this difficult to get a link out? I have now re-connected it with a sram link so easy to split but not easy to remove links!

Comments

• Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    richard2 wrote:
    Im aware it has one pin which is designed to be taken out

It's not designed to be taken out!

But yes sometimes chains can difficult to split, although a decent quality workshop sized splitter helps.

:idea: Are there many things your aware of?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nope, often need a little bit of force, but vice and hammer seems a bit extreme. Unless the tool pin is actually a bit skew and on a plate instead of a pin.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • It can take a bit of force to initiate the initial break,but as Cooldad says check the tool and pin are aligned first.

Don`t bother rejoining with Shimano pins,just use the relevant SRAM or KMC power link.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo