Rockhopper rear brake howl

jsync
jsync Posts: 120
edited October 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Newbie here! I am a new owner of a second hand Rockhopper Comp 2011. It is fitted with Juicy 3s that are making a bit of noise at the rear. On applying the brake lightly there is a noise that I can only describe as a howl, when the wheel locks it is fine.

I have read somewhere that there were some recalls on this model due to frame imperfections that resulted in vibration on the brakes. Before I get excited is there anything I should be looking at? Or am I wasting my time with these brakes and should be looking at changing them?

Thanks,

Kev

Comments

• johnsav
    johnsav Posts: 775
    firstly check your pads and make sure they aren't worn down
    secondly, relax, its quite common.

If the bike has seen a bit of action it might benefit from a new disc and pads.

but first you could try aligning the caliper, very easy if you didnt know. Crack the two 5mm allen bolts that secure the caliper off until the caliper can move about. Apply the brake quite firmly then nip the bolts back up firmly. dont murder them though.

you could try a brake cleaner on them as well.. brake juice is meant to be good at helping squealing
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    It is quite normal to have brake howl with juicy 3, when you try to engage them (I had that problem too). Anyway, you should re-align the caliper in a try and test manner, and try to clean the pads/rotor with IPA, brake cleaner, or normal water.

This should fix the problem.

Cheers :)
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • jsync
    jsync Posts: 120
    Hi,

Thanks for the advice, I have realigned the caliper as suggested and it seems completely quiet.

Cheers,

Kev