Bike rebuild - Shogun Curfew XC

Red.Devil.Ghost
Red.Devil.Ghost Posts: 185
edited October 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
OK so the plan is at the end of the month, I am buying a Trance (4 or Ltd, can't decide) which means my 6 and a half year old Shogun Curfew will be ripe for ripping apart and rebuilding. I am currently in Germany, so the Giant will be kept in the UK and the Curfew out here with me, which means I'll be stripping it right down and posting it out in bits.

My mian question is, is the frame worth keeping? In time, everything else will probably be upgraded, and although it wont be a strict budget rebuild, it will be all second hand stuff, so Ebay and here etc with bargains being the name of the game. I want a decent HT out of it, but if the frame is not worth it I might consider my options. But I do like the look and colour of the frame.

The bike will be used for getting to work, and some local off road stuff, but probably nothing too extreme. I'm cautious of not letting this turn into a best of everything bike.

This is the bike.
http://www.falconcycles.co.uk/CORP/Shogun05/curfew.html

I probably wont keep anything else except the bars and grips. I like those too. Thanks for any advice in advance.

Comments

• Oh and the pedals...
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It's a rather heavy, if tough frame. Basic and stiff. Be cheaper to get a new bike in all honesty!
  • Heavy?! I know its not the lightest around but I've never really thought of it as heavy. Tough is the key word I'm happy with there. Extra weight just means I have to work a bit harder which is fine by me. The Trance can be my light bike. If its tough I can work with that. Fix some Ebay bargains to it and it will serve its purpose.

Plus, the heavier it is, the more I will appreciate the Trance.
  • supersonic
    Yes, much heavier than a modern aluminium frame! Basic plain gauge tubing, harsh ride.

http://www.btwincycle.com/EN/rockrider- ... techniques

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-52 ... 56187.html

Be harder to find the seprate parts all that cheap. But depends exactly what you need replacing.
  • Ah sorry, mis-understanding. I wont be putting the same bits back on it. I'lll be upgrading stuff, but all the upgrades will be sourced on the bay or here etc.

Yeah I can see it being heavy compared to the newer bikes. I haven't really had any problems with the ride so far, but thinking about it I guess it is a little harsh - the seat is horrible though. Surely I can improve the ride with decent components?

Due to being in Germany, and not wanting to risk bringing the Giant over by plane or post, I want a bike I can use out here as well. Plus I wouldn't want to use the Giant for commuting. I'm not looking to do serious downhill, but I would like it to be able to cope with a bit of off road stuff comfortably. Maybe a trip to the Hardts (sp?) mountains for a weekend. And for when I get back to the UK, something that can deal with trail riding so I have a spare.

Although the bike cost just under 300 new, I reckon I could stretch to 350 for components, maybe a bit less if I get a different frame. Part of the reason is I want a project, something to do and learn on.
  • supersonic
    Good thing is that parts in Germany are cheaper than the UK ie Rose Bikes (worth a look, see new stuff cheaper than ebay 2nd hand sometimes!)

You need to list what parts you need really so we can see more in depth your plans. Forks, wheels and brakes can take up a big part of the budget.
  • Well my original plan was to keep the frame, seat post, bars grips and pedals. Everything else will be replaced. I need to strip it to ship it anyway due to limitations on max parcel size etc.

As for parts cheaper in Germany, that's mildly surprising as bikes themselves cost a lot more than the UK.

The original plan was -
    hydraulic brakes (I have seen some Juicy 5s on here for 80 quid with rotors, front and rear complete set. Good value?),
    new fork (but I understand that if I change the travel too much it can cause problems. The current Mozo Vibe-r forks don't have much travel although not sure what the exact amount is. I was hoping to go to about 100mm travel, although maybe 120 if found a good deal and it didn't ruin things)
    New cranks, gears, chain etc. (I might see if a strip and clean can save these, but have had problems with gears and chain)
    Wheels (although not urgent, can wait and do those last)
  • supersonic
    Bikes are dirt cheap out there in my experience! Well, for a given spec Canyon, Rose, Bulls just floor anything in the UK at the minute.

Better brakes than the Juicy 5 for £80, you can get new for not much more. Shimanos and Tektros work better and are usually cheaper 2nd hand ie Deore or the Auriga.

You want to stick to 100mm really. Toras and Recons are good forks.

I wouldn't buy 2nd hand gearsets, new are cheap enough and you know they will work.
  • Are you kidding me?! The Giant Trance X4 is 1799 euros in Germany. Its 1300 in the UK, and you can get it for not much more than a k. I haven't fully looked into Canyon etc, that might be a little different as they are German brands.

I did see a nice Steppenwolf bike the other day while out and about looking. Steppenwolf is just about the coolest name for a make I have seen, although Nukeproof is a pretty good name too.

As for the rest of the stuff, thanks for the tips, I appreciate it. Other than a comfy seat, I can't really see anything else I need to particularly change.