XTR shadow setup NEED HELP PLEEEASE

phantomx0_1
phantomx0_1 Posts: 50
edited October 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Help please a little confused :?:

My new XTR shadow plus mech arrived today.

This one.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-xtr-10- ... erailleur/

So off I go down to the garage and take the chain and old mech off. Fit the new mech to the hanger and refitted the chain and run a new cable. I then set the high and low limits all fine and adjust the B screw. Then refitted the chain and the cable. The gears all shift fine and smooth. Now comes the confusion. When the chain is in the lower gears on the casette and in the middle and lower chainring there is far to much slack in the chain totally unridable. What have I missed? The chain is the same one that I was using with my old XT 2011 mech. This is the only position there is a problem in all other positions the chain is at the right tension. The tension switch wont make a difference to that ammount of chain slack as you set the derailer up with it in the off position so its set up like a normal derailer.

Any help will be appreciated. Hopefully just having a numpty moment as never had an issue setting up derailers before now!!

Something here doesnt look right there is just no tension in the chain at all and the mech is in a postion so that the hanger is touching the upper part of the mech however shifting is spot on. AAARARGGGHHHHHH :x

Sorry for the poor quality just a few of quick iphone photos in the dark!

057.jpg

058.jpg

059.jpg

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    did you set the chain length correctly?

what was the old cage size? and the new cage size?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • is the b screw sitting against the correct part of the mech hanger?
  • nicklouse wrote:
    did you set the chain length correctly?

what was the old cage size? and the new cage size?

The new one is the same size as the old one.
  • is the b screw sitting against the correct part of the mech hanger?

Now thats a good question! didnt think of that where shoukd it be?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Now thats a good question! didnt think of that where shoukd it be?

That looks like the problem, the mech is far too far 'forward', the b-knuckle is too near the stay. There will be a little 'ledge' on the mech hanger for the b-screw to sit against, remove the mech, and re-fit, twisting it back slightly as you do.
  • mister p
    mister p Posts: 405
    2012_shimano_xtr_shadow-plus_derailleur2s.jpg

This is how it should be fitted, the metal piece that goes to where the cable sits should be horizontal not vertical.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Fit the new mech to the hanger and refitted the chain and run a new cable. I then set the high and low limits all fine and adjust the B screw. Then refitted the chain and the cable.
    Sounds like you have twice as much chain and cable as you need :lol:
  • ftwizard
    ftwizard Posts: 253
    Surely you just need to recheck your chain length. It's always going to be a little slack in the extreme positions, but not quite that slack.