rear mech indexing problem

andyt363
andyt363 Posts: 19
edited October 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,
After recently getting back into biking after 20 years of lazyness i got myself an orange g2 with alivio setup i realise that alivio isn't the best of gear but i bought this bike with a view to upgrading along the way. The problem i have is since new the rear shifts have always been sluggish and since it has been back to lbs for first service it has got even worse so i have had a go at correcting the indexing myself and have almost cracked it but on the shift from 1st to 2nd cogs just wont happen and when i get adjustment correct on it the shift from 7th to 6th goes bad and i have to give an extra half push on the shifter to make the change happen I just cant seem to get every shift perfect. So my question is, is the alivio just a crap setup and will never be right or do i have to keep persevering to polish up my rusty tuning skills since i am having doubts about the abillities of my lbs.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Alivio is good stuff - the problem will be the cables (assuming the mech and hanger is straight).

Make sure are cut flush, are clean, the ferrules are correctly fitted and are sufficiently lubed.
  • Thanks for your quick response. I have cleaned and lubed the cable as it was a bit gritty but everything else looked ok. it is just that 2 changes that are driving me mad.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Take it back to the shop and tell them their service didn't work. I suspect it is the cables still, but they should be sorting it out in a free service.
  • Had pretty much the same symptoms a few weeks back (SRAM X9). Replaced the rear derailleur cable and problem sorted.
    Canyon Nerve XC7
    Carrera Fury
    Specialized Secteur Elite
    Planet X Uncle John
  • booldawg
    booldawg Posts: 290
    definitely take back to LBS if its been recently serviced and you've had problems since getting it back. I have a mate who swears most shifting problems can be rectified by a clean a lube of the cables. Theres some good Youtube vids that show you the best way to do this.

I've got the same set-up as you, a G2 with Alivios all round and they're pretty reliable all year round (I get it serviced every 12 months and do around 2500 miles per year)
    1999 Scott Vail - Work commute
    2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 SX - Weekend riding

East Hants MTB on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/288056017965343/
  • mister p
    mister p Posts: 405
    Shifting correctly at one end and not at the other points to a bent mech hanger I reckon. But changing the cables won't hurt either.
  • Thanks for all the advice guys, got round to changing the cable tonight and is working perfectly now.