Rear Suspension Slight Movement Question...

Blind Danny Johnson
Blind Danny Johnson Posts: 372
edited October 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys,

I noticed a slight bit of movement in the rear end of my bike as I lifted it up by the saddle a while ago and checked all the bolts etc and found a loose bolt at the bottom of the rear shock which I tightened up and solved the problem...

However, the slight bit of movement has come back and all the bolts connecting the rear of the bike to the main section are tight as far as I can tell. It's definitely coming from this area, it's defo not the saddle or rear wheel, but I can't for the life of me work out where. Does anyone have any ideas?

I have a '09 Stumpjumer Comp if this is of any use...

Thanks.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Possibly shock bushings.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Sounds like a worn out suspension bushing and/or worn out linkage bearings...
    I would investigate the bolts on top/bottom of the shock and see what's going on.

About the same thing happened with my Stumpy:
    The bushings became oval after a while from use, and the fact that it was oval caused a slight bit of play in the rear end.
    Also, my linkage bearings were all rusty and squeaky so I replaced them all (bike felt like new after I did that!)

(I got the bushing kit from Mojo, and the bearing kit I go on Ebay - just take note replacing the linkage-bearings youself voids the warranty.)
  • cooldad wrote:
    Possibly shock bushings.

Stupid/obvious question alert! - What are they and where can I find them to check them?

Thanks.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    download the shock manual.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    download the shock manual.

Good idea, will do.

Thanks.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    The bushes are sacrificial to stop the shock eyelets wearing. Personally I would avoid heavy duty bushes because IME something else wears out instead - e.g. the mounting bolts or the shock link :(

0.1 mm wear is enough to be noticeable.
  • bobgfish
    bobgfish Posts: 545
    I'd bet you a fiver it's the rear shock bush. Easy to swap with the right tools.

You can get them from
    http://www.tftunedshox.com/
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Where the shock bolts go through. Lift the back end and watch the (more often) top and bottom of the shock and see if there's a tiny bit of movement.
    (If there is Ben has a collection of bushes and the tool to fit them, takes a minute.)
    I doubt it's the suspension linkages.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks everyone. Will check it out as soon as I can.