Can anyone recommend a good read?

2»

Comments

• js14
    js14 Posts: 198
    I vote for "Andy Pruitt's Complete Medical Guide for Cyclists" by Andrew Pruitt and Fred Matheny. The book is much easier to read than the title suggests and covers topics such as setting up the bike, effective training and avoiding cycling injuries and is aimed at all levels of cyclist. Andy Pruitt founded the Boulder Center for Sports Medecine and the recommendations in the book are based on expert research findings rather than just someone's theories found on internet.
  • ɹɐןןıdɹǝʇʇɐɔ ʎɹƃunɥ ǝɥʇ
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    ɹɐןןıdɹǝʇʇɐɔ ʎɹƃunɥ ǝɥʇ

I found that a bit tough going to be honest. :wink:
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Greggyr
    Greggyr Posts: 1,075
    Just reading Dr Hutch's account of his attempt at The Hour record. I enjoy his column in the comic and I'm enjoying his book too.
  • Greggyr wrote:
    Just reading Dr Hutch's account of his attempt at The Hour record. I enjoy his column in the comic and I'm enjoying his book too.

I've already read that, a bloomin' good read it was an'all.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • +1 for French Revolutions, laugh out loud at times.

How about Blazing Saddles, The Cruel and Unusual History of the Tour, by Matt Rendell, a year by year history of the TdF which gives a good introduction to the characters, so you can go and find out more about them and lots of anecdotes. A lot more readable than it looks at first.
    Coffee is not my cup of tea

Moda Fresco track racer
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro 6 winter commuter
    Gunnar Hyper X
    Rocky Mountain ETSX
    Cannondale Scalpel 3000 (retro-bike in bits)
    Lemond Poprad Disc, now retired pending frame re-paint.
  • zippy483
    zippy483 Posts: 104
    Read Heroes, Villains and Velodromes by Richard Moore a couple of years ago, a sort of Chris Hoy, Modern British Cycling Biog, found if a fairly compulsive read but I was on Holiday :)
  • I've recently finished

It's all about the bike
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Its-All-About-B ... 101&sr=8-1
    Enjoyed this one for talking about geeky bike bits.

and

The man who cycled the world
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Man-Who-Cycled- ... =pd_cp_b_4
    Found this really engaging - makes me want to do some long distance cycling!

I've read a few other cycling books (shadow cycling the tour and one of the Lance books). Also in the middle of the Robert Millar book mentioned earlier in the thread.

If anyone's got any cycling books they want to swap, send me a private message making a suggestion. I'm never sure what to do with books after I've finished them so if there are other people buying and reading cycling books a swap could be a good option!

They're in good condition - slightly dog-eared (I lent them to a friend who read them too) - I'm not too fussed about the condition of any offered books as long as they're clean and readable!

Dave
  • .."One More Kilometre and We're in the Showers" by Tim Hilton combines a great personal memoir of a club cyclist with a potted histiory of the sport and its characters...clumsy title but I enjoyed it immensely.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    ɹɐןןıdɹǝʇʇɐɔ ʎɹƃunɥ ǝɥʇ

Spoiler alert :
    Good twist at the end when he turns into a butterfly though. Didn't see that coming.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Greggyr wrote:

I agree with this, really well written. The best cycling book I've read, and I am no track rider or tester.

I recently picked up the Laurent Fignon book at The Works for £2.99. Good read too.
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    I've just read the Ned Boulting book (how I won the yellow jumper) while on holiday, found it an enjoyable read.
  • kingrollo wrote:
    the escape artist - Matt Seatton - great book

This gets a lot of rave reviews - but i didn't enjoy it that much. Didn't rate 'French Revolutions' that much either.

Can't believe no-one has mentioned Graham Obrees autobiography - The Flying Scotsman. A very good book in my opinion, if somewhat disturbing. Paul Kimmages 'Rough Ride' is good too - but again somewhat on the bleak side.

There are some good books about Le Tour which give a potted history of cycling development - "Le Tour" by Geoffrey Wheatcroft is good, and Graham Fife wrote a decent one - but i'd say that once you've read one you've read them all.

The greatest? 'Put Me Back on My Bike' - by WIlliam Fotheringham! I'd say that this and Obrees autobiography are essential reading!
    Put me back on my bike...

t' blog: http://meandthemountain.wordpress.com/
  • I really enjoyed the Dan Coyle book Tour de Force, which covers the 2004 season; I think it may have been reprinted as Lance Armstrong's War to include 2009

In Search of Robert Millar is another good one. A great piece of investigative journalism by Richard Moore, not only of Millar, but also some of the other characters of that era.

Recently read and enjoyed Ned Boultings 'Yellow Jumper' book - laugh out loud funny
  • Gary_T
    Gary_T Posts: 52
    This thread has given me heaps of potential reading material! Thanks all

For myself I'd recommend the two books by Alistair Humphreys: Moods of Future Joys and (especially) Thunder and Sunshine

A true adventure on a bike and a rivetting read
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    The Psychopath Test - Jon Ronson - I really enjoyed this, although did think JR got a little 'lost', for a bit 2/3rds of the way in, getting side tracked by pharmaceuticals and other mental illnesses.
  • David Millar is one of the best sport books I've read I even wrote a quick blog review last week http://www.amateuretape.com/david-millar-racing-through-the-dark/

Nobody mentioned Cav's book Boy Racer which is as easy read but an intertsing insite to the side of him you don't get to see on interviews