Can anyone recommend a good read?

wardieboy
wardieboy Posts: 230
edited October 2011 in Road beginners
Hi All,

Started road biking this year and really enjoying it.

Can anyone recommend any good cycling books now that the nights are turning in and not so many miles can be hammered out in the evenings?

I've read the Lance Armstrong books and really enjoyed them, but would also consider some training/technique books to build knowledge.

Cheers

Comments

• k1875
    k1875 Posts: 485
    Slaying the badger - Can't remember the author's name but doubt there's more than one book with that title. Really good read.

I'm pretty sure this has been covered previously so you might be best off using the search facility as folk'll maybe not be bothered to write the same stuff again if they replied last time.
  • Can highly recommend "The Long Run" by Matthew Long. Whilst not strictly about cycling, it tells the story of a NY fireman who was crushed by a bus whilst riding his bike and received horrific injuries. (At this point think of seat posts and perhaps where you wouldn't like to put it :cry: )
    Primarily a marathon runner before the accident, he was also heavily involved in triathlons and had just competed and completed the Lake Placid ironman triathlon.
    I defy anyone not to read about it and be affected by allergies.

In a similar vein, try Frank Gardners autobiography too. He is the BBC security correspondent who survived an assassination attempt in Saudi Arabia. Title is "Blood and Sand"
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    A good link here, with another link embedded too:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... light=book
  • Slaying the Badger is by Richard Moore. Am reading it now - v good. Also Bad Blood by Jeremy Whittle - about drugs/doping from the 90s onwards.
  • 2E
    2E Posts: 7
    Racing through the dark - David Millar
  • wardieboy
    k1875 wrote:
    Slaying the badger - Can't remember the author's name but doubt there's more than one book with that title. Really good read.

I'm pretty sure this has been covered previously so you might be best off using the search facility as folk'll maybe not be bothered to write the same stuff again if they replied last time.

Thanks for the reply - That's number one on my list now.

There was me thinking this was a break away thread from all the helmet posts :wink:
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    the escape artist - Matt Seatton - great book
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    The cyclebabble one (the collection of blogs from the Guardian) is really good - lots of tips, ideas and advice etc. It's a nice one to dip in and out of, and I've referred back to it a few times.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • mike ives
    mike ives Posts: 319
    Any edition of Procycling magazine. An excellent read each month.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Cycling the Tour de France - French Revolutions. Tim Moore. Hugely enjoyable.
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    2E wrote:
    Racing through the dark - David Millar

+1 for this - just finished it
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    We were young and carefree.

Very interesting read about Laurent Fignon`s life and the change in the pro peleton pre and post EPO

"Your the guy who lost the tdf by 8 seconds...
    No i am the guy who won the TDF twice :) "

Another good read is
    In search of Robert Millar .
    FCN 3/5/9
  • wardieboy
    Some really good suggestions, thanks to all that have responded. I've ordered a couple from amazon, and welcome more suggestions :D
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    R
    CiB wrote:
    Cycling the Tour de France - French Revolutions. Tim Moore. Hugely enjoyable.
    + 1 to that. Funny book and left me wondering if I could get 6 weeks off of work!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • kingrollo wrote:
    the escape artist - Matt Seatton - great book

+1 just finished tonight, will have you hooked you may even finish it in one sitting at only 180 pages :(
  • 'Ulysses' is a light read for to it is but not in as much as it is not worthy of reading so i would read it if you want to give it a go yes give it a read!
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    The Rider by Tim Krabbe

Classic stuff.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    I enjoyed A Dog in a Hat.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • k1875 wrote:

it is, absolutely brilliant, IMO

See books thread here:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12784747
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I went from Ned B's amusing prose of How I won the yellow jumper which did make me chuckle along as I read it . into Matt Rendles Death of Marco Pantani... half way thru and his much deeper style demands a lot of attention but is becoming highly readable and fascinating.. just engrossd by his take on the festina affair..
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    superfreakconomics, or the first 1 freakonomics

or the man who mistook his wife for a hat, or how to hide an elephant

or exerts of brittish euro-code for construction....... EN1990 - EN1999 :roll:
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    k1875 wrote:

it is, absolutely brilliant, IMO

See books thread here:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12784747

Picked this up over the weekend - having read nothing but cycling Biogs fro the last few months - i am saving this one for a few weeks and reading "devilfish" - life of a poker legend.

Re the death of Marco Pantani - Great book although it is a tough read.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Its All About the Bike by Rob Penn

Read it while on holiday and enjoyed it, a slightly alternative view and a good potted history lesson of cycling.

Tim Moore's book is also very good , as others have said.

In fact, I think I'll dig it out again tonight and read it again
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Restore your faith in human nature.

Read the book

One man and his bike by Mike Carter.

It's about his around Britain bike ride, thouroughly enjoyable. :D
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Restore your faith in human nature.

Read the book

One man and his bike by Mike Carter.

It's about his around Britain bike ride, thouroughly enjoyable. :D

Thats going on my Christmas list

Read some great reviews of it
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • DrKJM
    DrKJM Posts: 271
    In a slightly different vein, Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance by Lennard Zinn. I was all set to put my bike in to a shop for a service but the level of detail in this book has made me decide to take on most things myself. It's quite well written too - nowhere near as dry as you might imagine for an instruction manual.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Read anything that isn't about that Cheating Turd Armstrong.

My recommendations:

Racing Throught The Dark - David Millar (I know he was a cheat, but at least he admitted it, and this book is very candid on the subject, unlike LA ''im amazing, i beat cancer, i deffinately didnt cheat)

Put Me Back On My Bike - Don't know who by, but its a great read about a truly emotional story.

How I Won The Yellow Jumper - Ned Boulting, Found it quite a good read from a different perspective

Slaying The Badger - as already said, amazing story, amazing book.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    TommyEss wrote:
    I enjoyed A Dog in a Hat.

+1 Great book.

I also really enjoyed Racing Through the Dark (a lot more than I expected to).