Indexed front derailleur

Old Pedaller
Old Pedaller Posts: 104
edited October 2011 in Workshop
I have just fitted a new triple crankset to replace the original triple and lower the gearing to suit my old knees but haven't worked with an indexed front derailleur before.

I have it set up such that the height relative to the rings, the stop settings and cable tension all seem correct. If I pull on the inner cable it will get all 3 rings. If I use the lever it won't change - it appears as if the lever is not quite moving the mechanism across far enough to catch the next ring. I can only see one way to route the cable (I know that on some mechs different routing can give more or less cable pull).

Does anyone know what might be wrong? Mech is a Shimano 2300 which worked perfectly well on the original set up and the bike has only done 100 miles. Both triples are road type with the same distances between rings.

Incidentally, if I put tension on the disconnected cable and operate the lever it gives 3 clicks on the way up, not 2.

Comments

• careful
    careful Posts: 720
    You dont say what shifter etc, but assuming it is one that has a trim position then 3 clicks would be right. You say cable tension is correct but it does seem like the cable needs to be tighter - worth a try.
  • Shifter is 2300 also. There is a trim mentioned on the instructions but pressing the lever per those just changes down to the middle ring. I have had the tension high enough during experimentation to restrict the return so it does not seem to be that.
  • 2300 is a double shifter, 2303 is the triple shifter.
  • Interesting.....there's no markings but the spec sheet says 2300 for the entire drivetrain and gearchange set up.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,869
    Interesting.....there's no markings but the spec sheet says 2300 for the entire drivetrain and gearchange set up.

that 2300 reference in the specs is referring to the series - within the series there are specific models, such as 2300 and 2303
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Note that it's important to clamp the cable correctly. I don't know the 2300 derailleur but my cheaper Tourney one has a lug that you have to route the cable around to get the correct leverage.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}