Want to try a few DH runs but a bit scared.....

miss notaxmiss notax Posts: 2,823
edited October 2011 in Downhill, freeride and 4X
Hello :D

I want to do the Megavalanche next year and am on a crusade to get myself as 'together' as I can for it, which means taking in some dedicated DH runs.... The Forest of Dean has been suggested as a good place to start, but I am concened that i'll be way out of my depth :?

I'm certainly no expert but i'm not too bad on most descents, but i'm a bit worried that i'll really p!ss people off if i'm riding down v e r y s l o w l y and carefully. I know everyone has to start somewhere but I don't want to cause an accident!

Anyway, any thoughts before I take the plunge would be appreciated :D
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc

• Get on a Cwmdown uplift!

Closer than FOD from Southampton surely!

Loads of us doing it on the 16th if you and Mr Notax fancy it?
    People of all skill and ages and experience!

Check out the South Wales thread!
  • dan sharddan shard Posts: 722
    Do it!!

Dont worry about other people, youve got as much right to be there as they have. Unless its race day Id just get there and have a go.
  • geebee2geebee2 Posts: 248
    edited October 2011
    I did the Verderers trail in the FOD last Saturday with my wife ( neither of us have ever ridden a purpose built trail before ).

We both thoroughly enjoyed it, a great buzz.

No problem with crowding - I guess we saw about 5 other riders in the hour or so it took us to do the trail, very easy to stay clear.

The last section is red ( "Dragons Tail" I think it is called ), and is a bit scarier, but really you will take it in your stride as the trail gradually builds up in difficulty.

At the start we were really cautious, by the end we were really going for it ( relative to our total beginner level of experience ).

Actually, I think I was much more scared than my wife, she doesn't have a good imagination!

Edit: it seems the last section is closed for a week, check the website

http://thefod.co.uk/#/verderers-trail/4550017489

There is a speeded up video there that shows the final section, although I don't think it really gives a realistic impression.
  • JediJedi Posts: 827
    deffo do it miss notax :)
  • jairajjairaj Posts: 3,009
    didn't you go to the Alps earlier this year? I reccon you've got more skills than you think you have.

Try out any red graded DH track. These are usually all roll able with no compulsory big drops or jumps.

Im sure you'll be fine. If you are very nervous then walk down the track first to see where the tricky sections are.
    geebee2 wrote:
    I did the Verderers trail in the FOD last Saturday with my wife ( neither of us have ever ridden a purpose built trail before ).

We both thoroughly enjoyed it, a great buzz.

No problem with crowding - I guess we saw about 5 other riders in the hour or so it took us to do the trail, very easy to stay clear.

The last section is red ( "Dragons Tail" I think it is called ), and is a bit scarier, but really you will take it in your stride as the trail gradually builds up in difficulty.

At the start we were really cautious, by the end we were really going for it ( relative to our total beginner level of experience ).

Actually, I think I was much more scared than my wife, she doesn't have a good imagination!

Edit: it seems the last section is closed for a week, check the website

http://thefod.co.uk/#/verderers-trail/4550017489

There is a speeded up video there that shows the final section, although I don't think it really gives a realistic impression.

I think the OP was talking about the DH stuff at FOD rather than the Verderers. Completely agree though the verderer trail is absolutely fantastic. Ive been to a fair amount of trail centres over the last few years and that stands out as a corker!! You certainly picked a good one to start off on!
  • geebee2geebee2 Posts: 248
    I think the OP was talking about the DH stuff at FOD rather than the Verderers.

Yes, I'm saying that the Verderers trail is pretty quiet, and by implication, I suspect the downhill routes are even quieter. I really doubt crowds will ever be a problem on any of the FOD routes unless there is a race on.
  • desmojendesmojen Posts: 136
    The DH tracks at FoD are pretty well populated at the weekends from my own experience.

I rode there for the first time a few months back (first time out on my DH bike) and initially I found parts of it quite terrifying, but by the end of the day I was able to ride everything, and was enjoying it to boot!

So my advice is go for it. Give yourself a chance, but definitely go for it :wink:

Jen.
  • miss notaxmiss notax Posts: 2,823
    Thanks guys, and really good to hear your thoughts Jen :D

Think i'll give it a go then and christen the lovely Minxy! And yes, have ridden in the Alps a couple of times.... Probably right about being better than I give myself credit for!

The bit that scares me is stumbling across a massive great compulsory jump that i'm not expecting :shock: :lol:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

miss notax wrote:
    Thanks guys, and really good to hear your thoughts Jen :D

Think i'll give it a go then and christen the lovely Minxy! And yes, have ridden in the Alps a couple of times.... Probably right about being better than I give myself credit for!

The bit that scares me is stumbling across a massive great compulsory jump that i'm not expecting :shock: :lol:

Theres none of them..just go round slow the first time so you know what to expect, then work your way up to warp speed :P
    geebee2 wrote:
    I think the OP was talking about the DH stuff at FOD rather than the Verderers.

Yes, I'm saying that the Verderers trail is pretty quiet, and by implication, I suspect the downhill routes are even quieter. I really doubt crowds will ever be a problem on any of the FOD routes unless there is a race on.

Sorry misunderstood :D
  • bartimaeusbartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Welcome to Kingley Vale Mountain Bikers.... you need to have a few goes at this which is all rollable, so you can build your confidence.

After a nearly a year I now catch the very slightest amount of air on some of this :D
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
    Ooooh, now that looks like fun 8) :D:D

• bartimaeusbartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    There's also a shorter section of bigger jumps and another more XC run down through the trees which is needs some care, particularly in the dark.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • NorthwindNorthwind Posts: 15,475
    edited October 2011
    There's always someone faster, and there's almost always someone slower. It's just riding bikes, it's not a race, so it's no different to getting held up on an XC ride. And if you do feel you're slowing someone up, just pull over and make like you're sessioning :wink:

Go, play, have fun, try not to ket killed.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • kathgkathg Posts: 142
    Hi there Miss Notax.. :D

I am now proud owner of a DH bike woo hoo!! If you are free.. me and my OH have booked on the uplift days in Cwm Carn on 26th October and Forest of Dean on 29th October, it would be great to ride with you! Don't worry about pressure on these uplift days, in my experience everyone is friendly and I just wait til all the speedy people have gone and then just bimble down at my own pace!
    Wow, can't wait to see what DH tracks are like on a DH bike, just be nice to not feel like I'm 'wrestling a tiger' !! :?

Kathg
    Woohoo! Will check the diary and let you know!

• ThewaylanderThewaylander Posts: 8,767
    I would recommend FOD to start, much more approachable DH's also the bonus part with FOD is you can actually push faster than the uplift service fairly easily, So aslong as your a bit fit which i know you are you can get a great value day of DH in more £30 less than elsewhere.

I'd say after FOD Cwm is great being a more techniacl trail :) The FOD DH runs are prob a bit more busy than the XC trail due to them being shorter obviously but people are polite and encouraging to all. though if you pedal up be prepared for some light ribbing that pedalling is a bit... ahum :P

Let me know if you fancy FOD one weekend on a push for a cheep see if you like it day and i will happily come show the trails, and borrow mr Notax's tools again lol
  • rhyko7rhyko7 Posts: 781
    miss notax wrote:
    Hello :D

I want to do the Megavalanche next year and am on a crusade to get myself as 'together' as I can for it, which means taking in some dedicated DH runs.... The Forest of Dean has been suggested as a good place to start, but I am concerned that i'll be way out of my depth :?

I'm certainly no expert but i'm not too bad on most descents, but i'm a bit worried that i'll really p!ss people off if i'm riding down v e r y s l o w l y and carefully. I know everyone has to start somewhere but I don't want to cause an accident!

Anyway, any thoughts before I take the plunge would be appreciated :D

there are a few mtb clubs around S.Wales trying to put a DH enduro avalanche series together, the 1st trial of the event was yesterday, only 30 people turned up but it was a huge success and i think we may see more of these popping up hopefully, at the moment they are only inviting a select bunch of riders but i can see this growing because it was such a good event.
    If more come up with open invites (i am sure they will) i shall post them on here, watch this space
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • welshkevwelshkev Posts: 9,690
    sounds good rhys, where was it?
    sounds good rhys, where was it?
  • BxBx Posts: 33
    Hi Miss Notax,

I ride at FoD quite a lot as it's not far from here, I normally ride with the guys but there is another girl I ride with sometimes for a girly dh session! There are no compulsory drops or jumps and I'm pretty certain you have the skills to get down the dh runs there as they're more like steep xc than balls out dh (IMO).

Anytime you're up this way let me know, it would be great to finally meet you and I'd love to come out and play.
    Bx
    edited October 2011
    ignore this
    Bx wrote:
    Hi Miss Notax,

I ride at FoD quite a lot as it's not far from here, I normally ride with the guys but there is another girl I ride with sometimes for a girly dh session! There are no compulsory drops or jumps and I'm pretty certain you have the skills to get down the dh runs there as they're more like steep xc than balls out dh (IMO).

Anytime you're up this way let me know, it would be great to finally meet you and I'd love to come out and play.
    Bx

Hey Bx :D

Sounds good! I would love to meet up with you guys for a girly dh session! I'll have a look at some dates and be in touch 8)

• GrowmacGrowmac Posts: 117
    By the nature of DH, the groups normally blast through anyway, leaving the coast clear for more sensible (?) riders to follow.

I was over there with Bx the other week; we were the only people there not on DH bikes and we were absolutely fine. Was the same in the Dolomites in the summer, no problems there either, although the trails were much more gnarly in Italy. You'll love it at FOD.

Oh, and the biggest air we saw anyone get all day was a lass who looked about 15, who had all the gear, and who got about 10 foot of air off a big double, probably 2 or 3 times the height and speed of any of the blokes she was riding with. Made me smile as continued to fail to get the balls to jump the double she'd used. Bah. Still a good day out though.
    1994 Clark Kent F12; 2004 Mount Vision; 2011 Canyon AM 7, 2012 Canyon Torque FRX 6, a unicycle and a Brompton.
  • ThewaylanderThewaylander Posts: 8,767
    That the tripple on corkscrew? with the lovely double built into it?

Always a great place to see people whipping it out, love it :p