Improving average speed

OwenB
OwenB Posts: 606
edited October 2011 in Road beginners
So, I’ve now been cycling for over a year, the thing is my speed averages just don’t seem to increase at all. It doesn’t seem to matter if I’m riding 10 or 40 miles I always seem to round off at around 14mph average speed.

Now I don’t get out as much as I’d like I admit, just twice a week with a maximum ride of 2 hours with occasional 3 hour rides thrown in and I’m overweight at 19 stone +.

Riding more isn’t an option unfortunately and I’m losing weight slowly with just under 2 stone lost so far so what else can I do to improve my speed? Is it just a case of manning up? Push harder? Spin faster? When I try and push bigger gears I just seem to tire very quickly , I live in a pretty hilly area and I do struggle on the hills but just try and spin up them as best as I can and no doubt this will affect my speed too.

Any tips to be offered? Or should I just keep at it?

Comments

• Muffintop
    Muffintop Posts: 296
    Get yourself a turbo trainer and start doing interval training on that. It picked up my speed from about 10mph to 13-14mph and helped massively with spinning away at hills. I do couple of turbo sessions a week then head out for a couple of hours at the weekend or when I can. Turbo sessions are anywhere in between 15 to 60mins.
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com
  • bisoner
    bisoner Posts: 171
    If you live in a hilly area and want to make riding easier, you need to lose some weight.

There are loads of suggestions on these forums so have a search around. Usually, it boils down to eating less, eating more healthily and exercising. It's not easy but it can be done.
  • OwenB
    Thanks, the weight is dropping and I can feel the benefit on the hills. Just feel a bit feeble with regards to average speeds.

I went to the velodrome the other week and at my coasting speed I was getting lapped by other guys who weren't really putting any more effort in. I know it's a fitness issue for me but what can I do to help that :)

Will look into a turbo though.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    bisoner wrote:
    If you live in a hilly area and want to make riding easier, you need to lose some weight.

There are loads of suggestions on these forums so have a search around. Usually, it boils down to eating less, eating more healthily and exercising. It's not easy but it can be done.
    After yet another summer where my average hasn't improved any I'm trying this now. It is most definitely not easy :(

I have been thinking of getting a turbo trainer as well to reduce my "lazy days".
  • What worked for me was hills, finding long hills that arn't too steep. On a hill you can't coast for a bit on a slight decline or letting the tailwind help you, if you stop peddling, you stop. You need to keep giving it smooth/ constant power - the same thing you need to go faster.

Also, what peddles are you using? Clipless peddles could give you about 1mph! Also there's a big difference in my average speed on country lanes compared to A roads (but I prefer the quiet country lanes, which costs me 2mph+)
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    If you want to ride faster then go out and ride faster, simples. Change your casual rides into interval sessions. Break them up into five minute blocks with five minute rests. Do the five interval blocks at TT type pace ie very brisk putting plenty of effort but still in control. Don't forget to warm up and down after each ride.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    markos1963 wrote:
    Don't forget to warm up and down after each ride.

Do you mean a spot of gentle spinning, or some off-bike stretching, or both? Thanks.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • None of the following have anything to do with fitness but that doesn't mean they are not valid ways to improve your average speed:

1. Check the fit of your bike .. seat heat makes a big difference for me on my efficiency.
    2.Drop the handle bars .. so that even when your on the hoods you have a more aerodynamic shape.
    3. Try and use the drops more .. especially when your at the top end of your speed range, whenever your facing a head wind, whenever the road surface is low friction.
    4. Wear closer fitting clothes .. no big flappy jackets,
    5. Remove any excess weight off your bike.

These are just things that I've tried/trying as I'm new to using a road bike too.

P.s My favourite way of upping my average speed .. only go out when you've got a really good tail wind :-)
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    None of the following have anything to do with fitness but that doesn't mean they are not valid ways to improve your average speed:

1. Check the fit of your bike .. seat heat makes a big difference for me on my efficiency.
    2.Drop the handle bars .. so that even when your on the hoods you have a more aerodynamic shape.
    3. Try and use the drops more .. especially when your at the top end of your speed range, whenever your facing a head wind, whenever the road surface is low friction.

These are just things that I've tried/trying as I'm new to using a road bike too.

P.s My favourite way of upping my average speed .. only go out when you've got a really good tail wind :-)

And the temperature of your saddle is important why???? LMFAO
  • I bought a Rapha jersey and that improved my speed by 2 mph
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    BruceG wrote:
    None of the following have anything to do with fitness but that doesn't mean they are not valid ways to improve your average speed:

And the temperature of your saddle is important why???? LMFAO

Maybe more a reference to friction/rub as a result of poor fit rather than specifically saddle temp.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:
    Don't forget to warm up and down after each ride.

Do you mean a spot of gentle spinning, or some off-bike stretching, or both? Thanks.

Yes both, I have just started doing some more serious stretching due to back problems and it helps a lot for on the bike flexibility. I can hold my position better on my TT bike and my road bike has a much more aggresive set up now.
  • SLX01
    SLX01 Posts: 338
    How are you measuring your speed? Average over a long ride is not a good way to motivate yourself and varies due to stops for lights etc. I found getting a Garmin and looking at my performance over set segments of routes was a good motivation. You can then sprint or give it a bit of wellie up hills and see how you improve. If you have an android phone or an iphone you can use Strava for the same thing its free and a great motivator.
  • OwenB
    I've been using various apps on my android phone. Mostly Cardio trainer until recently and have now gone onto mytracks. Will try Strava though.

Am using M520 pedals and some shimano RT 31 shoes, and the loops I ride generally contain some longish hills I try to avoid anything too steep though.
  • nochekmate wrote:
    Maybe more a reference to friction/rub as a result of poor fit rather than specifically saddle temp.

Nope just a typo :roll:

strava profile
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    SLX01 wrote:
    Average over a long ride is not a good way to motivate yourself and varies due to stops for lights etc.
    Now come on, surely we all realise that it's OK to break the rules of the road when there's a PB at stake? :wink:
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Trying finding another rider / group to cycle with - you'll move a bit quicker in a group because of the drafting effect and the slightly easier efforts means you can go harder on the tough bits.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • OwenB
    I've looked for groups and other riders but not found anyone.
    I looked into joining my local club but they don't have a beginners or slower ride to join onto so have been looking at improving my fitness and speed so that I won't feel like I'm holding people up when I go out with them.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    nochekmate wrote:

Nope just a typo :roll:

Yes you're probably right - just read it again now! :oops:
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Sounds like you are treating your 10 mile route the same as a 40 mile.

Use your current 10 mile route as a TT and go round as hard as you can and look to improve your time each ride out, ideally setting a new PB each time. It's hard because you can't afford to rest anywhere.

I've been doing this before breakfast at weekends, while the roads are fairly quiet. I also have a 20 mile loop which I treat similarly. My times are pitiful compared to a 'real' time trialler, but it has helped with my cycling fitness and gets you out of the habit of pootling around and should help improve your average speeds a bit.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • OwenB
    I think this is where I've fallen down. When I began cycling on the road again after a long break I was advised to not overdo it and try and keep it slower as it would be better for fat burning. It seems that now I'm struggling to change from that.
    Guess flogging myself over shorter routes is a good idea in the short term. I've plenty of little routes I can do too for a bit of variation.
  • Train your weaknesses .. they are the easist to make big gains on. For you I'd guess it's weight loss and cycle fitness.

I find it difficult training and trying to lose weight at the same time so why not try attacking them seperately.

Really concentrate on weight lose for 4 weeks so really watch what you eat and ensure you are losing weight + this may have an effect on your ability to ride. Then switch to speed for 4 weeks, still watch what you eat but don't worry so much about losing weight .. just concentrate on training really hard (that doesnt mean every ride is a TT but that your thinking and concentrating on training .. I'm sure they'll be some rides where you knackered and you'll just have to give yourself a break).

Why 4 weeks? No scientific reason , just for me after 4 weeks I'd be worn out from concentating on which ever aspect I was working on - also you have to give yourself a fighting chance of achieving something.

Listen to your body .. it can be hard to know when it's just whinging (and can be ignored) and when it's actually telling you your over doing it but if your really training hard then you will have to get closer to the point where you have to pay attention to what it's trying to tell you.

Or .. you could just keep on cycling, keep on logging the miles and just enjoy the whole bl**dy thing and not get too bogged down with going faster becuase you will anyway (That's not for me though .. I just want to go faster)

strava profile
  • Avezius
    Avezius Posts: 132
    I'm sure I read that shorter bursts of sprinting (intervals) can do just as much good as longer rides, but the shorter rides are easier on the spare time!

I ride a 10TT circuit most lunchtimes - averages steadily rising from a benchmark of 18mph ave a year ago, so now where 22mph ave is the norm. Note that these rides are usually up at 90%+ HR & often end in a sprint (usually hitting max HR).

Firstly - it's MUCH easier in groups - for taking turns in the wind shadow, but more really for pushing yourself.

Secondly, I also do short commutes (3.5 - 5miles each way) and try to fit in some intervals there too. I think this is one reason for

Thirdly - bike computers/GPS. you get hooked on checking out your times & recording them.

Good luck!
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    To improve my speed I have done the follow.

Lost 3 stone so I am now 12 stone.

Every hill I get I attack it, this will hurt like mad, i'm talking out of the saddle and full throttle.

I've go out 3/4 times a week and do a 16 mile flat route at lunch trying to maintain a steady speed say 75% of max...it should be that border in-between tiring but maintainable.

I try and do a base ride of 50 miles at the weekend...although recently these have been about 40. My trouble is my base rides I normally gun it round :(

The thing I've found with attacking hills it works as a kind of interval session. Some will disagree, although I've become quite proficient at climbing doing this (which increases your average)

My average when I started the tale end of last year was about 16MPH...I can now ride on a flat 16 mile route 22MPH, a 10mile TT route (with bars) about 25-26MPH and over a 50mile route 20ish MPH.

I'd say you could pump out another 1/2MPH just by having the mentality of giving it your all trying to beat your best time... obviously the faster you go, the harder it is to get speed increases.
  • DavidJB wrote:

Every hill I get I attack it, this will hurt like mad, i'm talking out of the saddle and full throttle.

wow don't you fall over after a mile going uphill?
    My pen won't write on the screen
  • DavidJB wrote:

Wish I could do that on my commute .. unfortunately my two main hills are at the start of my ride home .. I'd be a total wreck by the time I got home/if I got home.

However I reckon your right .. I think it's much more about the mental attitude, and if I wanted to truely get faster then I should at least give it a go .. hey so I get trashed and have to sit down and have a rest for 10/20 minutes or so after totally blowing up .. so what? The fact that I've stressed my body and given it something to adapt to is the key.

If I'm feeling brave I may give it a go.

strava profile
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB wrote:

wow don't you fall over after a mile going uphill?

Only really short sharp hills around here ;)...I'm generally out of the saddle for most hills...I wasn't clear that I meant shortish hills with a decent grad. I don't attack slight inclines :p
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB wrote:

Wish I could do that on my commute .. unfortunately my two main hills are at the start of my ride home .. I'd be a total wreck by the time I got home/if I got home.

However I reckon your right .. I think it's much more about the mental attitude, and if I wanted to truely get faster then I should at least give it a go .. hey so I get trashed and have to sit down and have a rest for 10/20 minutes or so after totally blowing up .. so what? The fact that I've stressed my body and given it something to adapt to is the key.

If I'm feeling brave I may give it a go.

Good luck :) I think you'll find you'll do much better than you thought you would and it will give you the confidence to go faster.

You've just got to find your rhythm up hills. Some people like to sit down and take em steady, some like to stand and wave the bike around like me. No one style is better or at least I'm no where near good enough to say whats a better way. I just know that the only way I can enjoy a nice hill is to go at it as hard as I can. I've defo been caught out a few times when the hill was longer than I had planned though haha.
  • Thanks.

If a bust a lung I'll know who to blame .. first hill is 10% for a mile, the second 14% for about 1/4 of a mile (maybe less but my memory of this hill is a little distorted) .. then I just have the small matter of another 18 miles to get home.

strava profile
  • OwenB
    I've spoken to them in the past and I know a few of the guys in the club through other things I'm involved with. They did some beginner rides last year but their speeds seem beyond me at the moment. I'd love to join up and go on their club rides but I doubt I'd manage to keep up for more than a few miles and that's no use to me. I'd rather try and get the speed up so I can make a decent fist of my first rides out with them.

I know my average speeds are all relative, I guess it's just a base indicator of ability. I'd just like to be able to improve mine a bit.