Gluten free training diets

littlemisspanda
littlemisspanda Posts: 3
edited February 2012 in Health, fitness & training
I love my riding, but I'm coeliac, and I've been finding it hard to get the right nutrition (I think) for MTB. Mainly because most coeliac substitute foods are generally high-GI, and they are not very sustaining. I tend to really flag mid-ride and sometimes even struggle to get going at all.

Anyone on here have any experience of being gluten free and eating for training? I don't know if it's that I'm not eating enough, not eating at the right times, or just not eating the right things, but I'm kind of annoyed with not having enough energy to attack my rides and being off the pace. My weight is pretty normal - I'm 5'5, medium to heavy build and weigh 65kg. I just find since being diagnosed with coeliac disease and changing my diet I have a lot of fluctuations in energy which is affecting my biking adversely. Just wondered if anyone had any ideas/tips/experience.
The point of life is life

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Tesco sell a gluten-free oat flapjack which is pretty good for solid longer-burning food. There's a link between coeliac and avenin-allergy though. (the common problem with oats is that they're often contaminated, rather than being a problem with oats themselves)

Nakd- also sold at Tesco I think- have a range of slightly higher GI bars. But tbh they're all a bit disgusting IMO.

There's always the humble banana. Or loose nuts and fruits. Personally I survive on rice krispie bars while riding, but they're higher GI than you're probably looking for from your post.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Ooh, great post. I saw gluten-free porridge in Tesco the other day and you can get Nain's GF oatcakes too - still oats, just none-dodgy ones. Thankfully I'm not a coeliac, I'm just intolerant to it...again, bananas...GF flapjacks...maybe you could make your own granola bars with a load of nuts, grains, GF oats and stuff?

There's a recipe here that I might give a go:
    Chewy Cranberry Almond Bars: http://www.thebusynothings.com/?p=1879

Or maybe look for something combining brown rice into something like that? Let me know how you get on.
  • I'm coeliac myself and thought I would try Nairns gluten free oatcakes, I now know that I have an allergy to avenin as well. If you do try gluten free oat products make sure that you aren't going anywhere just in case. The problem with Rice Krispie bars is that they contain barley, as do most (maybe all) Kellogs products.

Tesco sell 9 Bars which are really tasty, they have a carob topping which is like chocolate and have a low GI.

http://www.9-bar.co.uk/index.asp
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Gels may be an option - Torq ones are gluten free and very palatable.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Most (not all) gels are GF but as high GI as you can get really. Likewise Haribo.

Plain rice crispie squares use barley malt extract but are supposedly codex alimentarius (*) compliant. However they've not been officially tested and approved as such. As with any such grey area it's obviously up to the individual to decide if they want to risk it- bit like Budweiser. Only tastier obviously.

(* Side note- I can't take this seriously because when I was a kid I used to play warhammer games and Codex Alimentarius totally sounds like it should be a big expensive rulebook with loads of skulls on the cover)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • sfichele
    sfichele Posts: 605
    Large bowl of GF Porridge oats before any ride or activity. You can't beat that for nutrition and slow release carbs :)
    Naked bars
    Trek bars
    Eat Natural bars.
    9-Bars are really good
    Dates are awesome.
    Raw nuts
    I tend to eat any oat based bar (even if its not strictly GF) depends how bad you are.

You always need to eat well before/ going out